1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New acquisition...old Kramer Lumie.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBud, Apr 10, 2010.

1. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    I think that's what they called the aluminum necked Kramers......"Lumies". I'm no Kramer historian. I believe this to be a model DMZ 5000 dating from the late 70's. Has the aluminum neck with wood inlays on back of neck.....P and J style pickups (believe them to be DeMarzios) Mother of Pearl crown inlay markers and the 2-wood strip down the middle. Not sure the material on the fretboard...but nice. Shaller tuners (did I spell that right?). So it is pretty much USA/German in origin. I bought this bass many years ago (80's maybe), and sold it about 2005. The young fella that bought it passed away and his father sold it back to me last week. It truly is a nice bass. It is an amazing bass for slap too.......Bud

2. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Cool! Looks like the bass Kasim Sulton Played with Utopia
    on the "adventures in Utopia" tour.

T

3. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    that is cool..

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    That looks just like my DMZ 6000 as confirmed by KramerBassfan. These are very nice basses.

5. How is the neck dive?

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Oh, perfect neck dive! ;-)

Use to own one…
    Sounded really nice but it was one of the most uncomfortable basses ever.

But you know what? I kinda miss it...

Nice one, btw.

7. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I"ve owned 4 of the Aluminum neck Kramer basses(2 maple 4000s, 1 walnut 4001, and 1 walnut 5000) and still own a maple 4000. Never had any trouble with Neck Dive with any of them.

Edit to add: Hey bigbud here's a nice link for ya http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm

8. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Looks cool. Congrats! What' s the weight?

Fred

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Hello!

Beautiful Bass.

Yes, They should be Schaller Tuners, and the Pickups ARE Dimarzio, OR Schaller Pickups. Doesnt make much difference.... Dimarzio even made a few pickups for Schaller.

The Fretboard material is called "Ebonol"... its a plastic that has the same look and feel as Ebony, but it harder... and plastic. Same thing bowling balls are made of... very sturdy!

Congrats... you have one of the most desirable Kramer Aluminum Basses made... the Crown Inlays really were the icing on the Cake! :)

P.S. Yep, it sure is German/American in origin... the wood was cut in new jersey, and the aluminum neck was done by an aluminum company in the late 70's and early 80's.

You've got a Boutique Quality bass in everything except... price tag. :cool:

Neck dive? ..... Wide Leather straps were invented for a reason... ;)

10. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Guys, thanks for all the info on the bass. Yes, it is abit heavy......about 10lbs. per my not-so-correct bathroom scales. I agree, it is somewhat of a boutique bass without the boutique value. I had sold it for $350 in 2005 and bought it back for the same $350 last week........No noticable neck dive, and I know neck dive. Had a '76 Gibson Thunderbird......now there was serious neckdive. I can't even remember how I disposed of that pain-in-the-neck (ha!) Just glad it's gone........ Bud

11. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I have one just like it, since 1982. It's a '79 DMZ5000. I reduced the neck dive by moving the butt-end pin up a couple inches and the horn pin to the body, at the neck joint. Helps a lot.

12. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Just to satisfy my own curiousity; what's this bass worth today? Yeah, I know "As much as you'll pay for it." That's not what I'm asking. What's "the going price?" I dont' know the OP, don't own one of the bass in question, etc, etc. I would think it would be worth a lot more than $350.

13. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    the DMZ in the model number refers to dimarzio pickups.

i have a 450b and i love it. doesn't quite fit into my regular band, but it is lots of fun with light strings, a pick, rat pedal and chords.

14. bajaandy

bajaandy

Apr 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Sweet Bass! I have a DMZ5000 that I bought used in 1981. Looks just like yours. Here's a link to the original catalog.
    http://www.vintagekramer.com/company19.htm
    I think I paid 4 bills for mine used in the early 80's. No idea what it's worth now.