New addition to my family

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just got a new addition to the family- built a fretless Jazz. I think she's a classy looking girl. Mighty Mite fretless neck, a body, DiMarzio UJ's...I know it's nothing earth-shattering, but it's mine :) . And I did all the work on it- every hole on it was drilled by moi, as well as the neck pocket rout, mounting the bridge, tuners, all that stuff. Plays like a dream, sounds awesome! Whatcha think?
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Well heck, fella, I think you done good. Enjoy it.
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I like! Good job!
  4. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    "She's a beaut, Clark." -Christmas Vacation

Very nice and clean, just the way I like'em. Good work!
  5. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Oh that's sweet sauce city. That's gotta be the best man, building it yourself, nothing like the feeling of bass-construction accomplishment. The absent lines are very GQ.
  6. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Nice ride! If you were a single woman, I would be proposing! :oops:
  7. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, Smash, the MightyMite neck is great! It's stable, it has a phenolic resin f/b, and it is actually a P profile- which I prefer due to my fingers being thick. I can get around well enough on a J neck, but the P width seems more comfy to me coming from my 5ers. The body is one I got off of the Bay, I had to do some routing- the neck pocket was fubar'd so I had to increase the length and took the pocket a tad deeper to help the string height. Made my own template out of MDF (a first time for me) and got compliments from a local shop on the fit. Tighter than a gnat's butt, they said. The pickup cavities needed attention, as they were too narrow for any PUs to fit into. Not a lot, so I free-handed the edges with my Dremel, and I had to do the channels to the control cavity. I shielded all cavities with copper tape, and had to mount the bridge myself. I was 1/4" too short, had to redo it 1/4" back, but it doesn't show, so I'm good with it. Lesson learned. I may refit it with a Badass bridge, but that's the only thing I think I'll change. Thanks to all for the kind words on my little project. The next one will be a thru-neck 6 with myrtle burl top. I already have the neck laid up- M-PH-M-W-M-PH-M. It's a beast. I'm thinking of going the Q-Tuner route on the PUs for that one. We'll see what transpires...
  8. that's an earth-shattering bass for me!
    better than mine

how do you like your dimarzios? do they sound great or no?
    i have a bass with dimarzio model j and i hate them to death, but i've heard that those ultrajazz sound pretty different to those model js.
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The UJs are in a word, SUHHWEEEEET! They aren't the same as the other ones. They sound more like my old 63 J bridge pickup on my first parts bass 20 years ago. I had a MM in the neck position- man, was that chunky! The UJ's sound very vintage-like but with more output. They are quiet due to their humbucking design, but don't sound like typical mudbuckers. They retain the same narrow-aperture sound that made the Jazz a legend, just more of it.