Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New addition to my family

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just got a new addition to the family- built a fretless Jazz. I think she's a classy looking girl. Mighty Mite fretless neck, a body, DiMarzio UJ's...I know it's nothing earth-shattering, but it's mine :) . And I did all the work on it- every hole on it was drilled by moi, as well as the neck pocket rout, mounting the bridge, tuners, all that stuff. Plays like a dream, sounds awesome! Whatcha think?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Well heck, fella, I think you done good. Enjoy it.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I like! Good job!

4. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    "She's a beaut, Clark." -Christmas Vacation

Very nice and clean, just the way I like'em. Good work!

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Oh that's sweet sauce city. That's gotta be the best man, building it yourself, nothing like the feeling of bass-construction accomplishment. The absent lines are very GQ.

6. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Nice ride! If you were a single woman, I would be proposing! :oops:

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, Smash, the MightyMite neck is great! It's stable, it has a phenolic resin f/b, and it is actually a P profile- which I prefer due to my fingers being thick. I can get around well enough on a J neck, but the P width seems more comfy to me coming from my 5ers. The body is one I got off of the Bay, I had to do some routing- the neck pocket was fubar'd so I had to increase the length and took the pocket a tad deeper to help the string height. Made my own template out of MDF (a first time for me) and got compliments from a local shop on the fit. Tighter than a gnat's butt, they said. The pickup cavities needed attention, as they were too narrow for any PUs to fit into. Not a lot, so I free-handed the edges with my Dremel, and I had to do the channels to the control cavity. I shielded all cavities with copper tape, and had to mount the bridge myself. I was 1/4" too short, had to redo it 1/4" back, but it doesn't show, so I'm good with it. Lesson learned. I may refit it with a Badass bridge, but that's the only thing I think I'll change. Thanks to all for the kind words on my little project. The next one will be a thru-neck 6 with myrtle burl top. I already have the neck laid up- M-PH-M-W-M-PH-M. It's a beast. I'm thinking of going the Q-Tuner route on the PUs for that one. We'll see what transpires...

8. that's an earth-shattering bass for me!
    better than mine

how do you like your dimarzios? do they sound great or no?
    i have a bass with dimarzio model j and i hate them to death, but i've heard that those ultrajazz sound pretty different to those model js.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The UJs are in a word, SUHHWEEEEET! They aren't the same as the other ones. They sound more like my old 63 J bridge pickup on my first parts bass 20 years ago. I had a MM in the neck position- man, was that chunky! The UJ's sound very vintage-like but with more output. They are quiet due to their humbucking design, but don't sound like typical mudbuckers. They retain the same narrow-aperture sound that made the Jazz a legend, just more of it.