New addition to the family (lots of pics) - Sadowsky content warning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well, Roger, the evil temptress of Brooklyn got me with his in-stock update. I thought my GAS had been cured by my first Sadowsky, a wonderful daphne blue P/J 4 with alder and rosewood. It amazing and sounds the business - its tone really has no better - perhaps equal (see my MTD ;) ) - but nothing better. So when I was in NYC earlier this eyar I stopped by Roger's shop to check it out and say hello. He lured me in with his siren song or testing a few of the "in stock" instruments and I had a chance to hear a jazz with Nordstrand Big Singles. Man, awesome tone that I feel in love with. But none of the basses there at the time really did it for me in the looks department. So I started thinking of what I would order in my next Sadowsky. Then, the in stock update arrives and Roger has somehow nailed exactly what I would have ordered with a ash/maple standard 4 with big singles. The icing on the cake is an awesome flamed / spalt maple top and birdseye fingerboard. I had to have it.

I've had it since Sunday afternoon and the tone is every bit as good as I remember. It has that amazing Sadowsky neck profile and the preamp is so great flat or with just a hint of bass boost. Really, if you have ever wondered about a Sadowsky, don't - just buy one. They are that good. Here are a lot of pics and a couple of updated family pics. Sorry Sadowsky haters, there's another fanboy on the block:

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

Its also worth adding that quite apart from their ability to build the most amazing jazz basses on the planet, Roger and Kevin and everyone at Sadowsky are super friendly and accommodating of all requests (like getting Roger's autograph on the back of the headstock). It really makes a difference to know that the people behind the bass are even nicer than the bass itself.

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Congrats, That's a Beauty!

3. Gorgeous bass.

...I'd much prefer the MTD, however. ;)

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Awesome, Mark. My 24/4 has the Nord big singles. My "go to" Sadowsky and I have 5 of them. Your bass looks sooo good

Rob

5. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    i've seen a lot of spalted top basses in my day

that spalted top is probably one of the nicest pieces i've ever seen

if it sounds as good as it looks then that is the ultimate

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The best way to describe the difference is to say that when I am at home, doing solo stuff or chords, I go straight for the MTD. No question. The voicing is so big and wide and clear it's just made for chording and the variety of tone with the preamp is amazing. However, the minute I want to play along with anything, or if I had to jam with other musicians, the Sadowsky is the choice. The only problem now is that I have to chose which Sadowsky! :D

7. One of the nicest Sadowskys I've seen.
    Congrats.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I am happy for you Mark. All the best ! :bassist:

9. loganpass

loganpass

May 17, 2008
    Western Montana
    Great looking family! :)

10. Awesome bass. Great choice on the top and pickups, as well. You have a very nice collection. :)

11. WhiteKong

WhiteKong

Jun 29, 2008
    I got happy in the pants looking at that.

12. I've never played one of Roger's basses. I've had the pleasure of playing a few MTDs. I'm not used to seeing them with Hipshot A bridges though. They usually have the cheesier (IMO) B bridges. Yours is just sick, dude!

My bias is based mainly on looks. Man, I love Tobias' work!!!! :hyper:

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Holy Spalted Flame, Batman! :eek:

That is absolutely killer, Mark. Enjoy!

14. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Your bass family is awesome, Mark.

15. Congrats Mark.

She sure is a looker! There is just something about spalted maple that just catches my eye.

Enjoy!

16. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I was admiring that one too! I love the look of the walnut top and whatever finish he used on that bass. I'll have to drop him a line.

Roger

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Roger

The top was cut from this piece and the finish is just his standard catalyzed acrylic urethane satin that he puts on all his basses unless you request a high gloss (poly) finish.

IMG_7654.jpg

cheers

Mark

18. if the 24/4 is your "go to" Sadowsky...can your hybrid "go to" me? ;)

and on topic...KILLER, Mark!...or in Australian...BEAUTY, MATE!

19. Beautiful! Looks absolutely amazing! Great family :)

20. That is the only shadowsky that I have had GAS for.

Well done.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021