Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Advise on buying a 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corrosivemind5, May 16, 2004.

1. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    Hey all,

I just registered here at talkbass..... :hyper: .....and i wanted to buy an new bass in the near future......right now i have an olp mm3 5 string and its really nice but I want something else.....like a carvin 5 string like the b5 but its 700 bux or something....my budget rabge is $500....so if u have any tips or advise on a good 5 string I would really apprecaite it. :bassist:

2. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    First of all, welcome! This is one of the largest resources on the net for the bass player!

First of all have you tried running a search on Talkbass as there is a likely chance that this topic has come up in a number of previous threads. ;)

See ya round

Andy

3. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    Hey thanks alot man :cool:

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector NS2000 Q5. Best 5 string in the price range, i have yet to meet someone who dislikes it for reasons other than personal beef with its features.

5. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    yeah i have a big big big problem....i wanna use the caht room but it wont except my password.....i checked if my ccaps were on and everything and even made up a new on ebut it still doenst work......if u have any ideas on y its doing taht plase tell me :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :(

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    btw here's a pic of my Spector Q5.

[​IMG]

7. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    awesome...how much?...o yeah i was wondering if u have any good bass distortiona pedals or multi effects pedals...yeah well thanks :p

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They retail on www.musiciansfriend.com for $550, although i got mine from a TBer for $300. Guitar Center had a sale for around $380, so the price fluctuates, but the absolute most they go for is $550 (and they are uite easy to get below that, especially used)/
    For bass distortion/overdrive i use a Boss ODB-3 pedal and love it.
    My multi effects pedal is a Digitech BP200. It cost about $100 and is quite nice.

9. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    thanks man i appreciate it!......ya so the spector is good?.....i wanted a cravin cuzz i hear they are really good....my dad has a fretless carvin and i love it.....but i only make 120 a month.....i am 14 and have this crappy job at the movies.....

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector is great. Have owned it for a few months now and have yet to find anything bad about is so far. Nice tight B string. Even tone across all the strings. The pickups have a really variable tone, you can get whatever tou want out of them. I havent palyed a Carvin so i cant help ya there.

11. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    i cant find any spectors?....where did u get urs or where can i find em

12. I think live chat is for supporting members only. I may be wrong, if so will a mod please correct me!

You can become a supporting member if you like though, you get more features that way...........depending on your membership
    choice!

TalkBass.com Supporting Membership Subscriptions

[​IMG]

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

Exactly what I was going to suggest. That was my second bass and I loved it to death. Great quality for the price.

A used Ibanez BTB or used MTD (can't remember the model)would be another great choice in that price range.

Here are some on ebay...

orange (exact bass I had)

Black...

or black cherry!