Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aero pickups & push/pull mod!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lukas_42, Apr 28, 2005.

1. lukas_42

lukas_42

Mar 9, 2005
    After several weeks of lurking and researching on TalkBass I pulled apart my Fender J this weekend and installed the push/pull series/parallel mod and some shiny new Aero J Bass 4 Type 1 Pickups. I figured while I had it all apart I should shield it as well. First and foremost, a big thanks to all the people who have posted their experiences and advice on TalkBass. It made the task of ripping apart my bass much less stressful. I love the series parallel mod and those Aero pickups are fantastic.

Everything wen smoothly for the most part except that the copper foil shileding I got did not have a conductive adhesive as I had assumed. I had another problem with the shielding in that shielding the sides of the pickup cavities made it a rather tight fit for the pickups to seat back in. Is it customary to shield the side walls of the pickup cavities? I also found that the push/pull pot I got from GuitarElectronics.com was a little too tall so the neck vol sits higher than the bridge vol now, even when the switch is down. That's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance. The bass is nice and quiet now though and being able to pull that switch and have that huge thumpy tone is awesome.

I'm very happy with the Aero pickups. I called Aero to order them and ended up speaking to Larry on the phone for nearly 45 minutes. A really nice guy and the pups came very well packages along with a wiring diagram, setup guide, and a .022uf tone cap. As someone noted in another thread, Larry is adamant about that tone cap. After I put them in and wired everything up I used alligator clips to audition various tone caps. I had the 0.022 from Larry, a stock .05(?), poly film .02 and .047, and a .1. The .022 is really wide open and the .1 is kind of the opposite giving you those enormous dub tones. The stock and the .047 were allright but the tone seemed kind of muddy at the extreme. I ended up with the cap Larry sent me but I'm considering another switch to flip between the .1 and the .022 because I love that huge fat tone from the .1...I just wouldn't use it very often. The pickups though, are fantastic. Totally transparent sounding they really trasmit the tone of my bass. The low end is much more defined and the highs are crisp but not harsh at all. I've only played with them a few times but the mid seem lower to my ears, but that's probably just because of the fuller range of the Aero's as compared to stock.

One final technical note: if you are going to be tack soldering in the pickup cavity, it might do you well to remove the pickup guard as plastic melts quickly when accidentally touched by a hot iron. Doh! Luckily the damage is minor and not visible, but I still almost had a heart attack. Thanks again for all the helpful comments and advice! :D

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you like it, then it's great!
    :cool:

One question, just out of curiosity: didn't you try lower uf caps, too? Maybe something lower than .022 would've given even more clarity.

3. lukas_42

lukas_42

Mar 9, 2005
    You know, I didn't even consider that when I was trying out the caps. I may have to try that and see if I would like it with even more clarity. If I'm not careful I'll be trying to squeeze a rotary selector switch into the control cavity. :cool:

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm just guessing that it would give more clarity - I'm not sure if it indeed will, maybe it will just make it sound harsher... who knows?

As for the rotary selector, if it works good, then it might be worth it ;)