1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Age music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Are there any fans of this style?

I think that jazz pianist Keith Jarrett explained the style best when he said, every musician including well known jazz players like Oscar Peterson played the same way that he (Jarrett) did in his improvised concerts, but only when they were alone and no one was around to hear it. Jarrett was one of the first musicians to record and release the music.

I respect those who don't like it. I can understand where they are coming from. But I sort of think that it is one of the purist forms of music. The music being made today sounds just like music recorded in the 1980's. It's pure because it seems like the musicians are really being uninhibited in their expression. Whereas in the past I think they would have been ashamed to be heard playing it.

bmac314 and StyleOverShow like this.
  2. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Acoustic Alchemy...

3. Chad Michael

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Kit Walker...

foolforthecity and Jeff Scott like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I spent a good deal of the 80s and early 90s lost in New Age Music. I have some AWESOME memories around it, too...

I wrote a song that I recorded on a Tascam 4 track that I made a video to in the late 80s. I have my old VCR tapes out now and I might just covert that one and post it :)... Have to watch it first. I liked the music (for what it was), but the video if I remember correctly made me cringe.

Will possibly be back shortly :) .

Until then, this was always my favorite New Age tune, and what got me into it. Its a bit played out now, but wasn't' the first time I heard it.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I love all the stuff from the '80-'90s, before it got transformed into smooth jazz. Some favorites.

6. Chad Michael

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Jeff Scott - many miles on AA and KW cd's... good stuff, especially on good gear (sound systems)

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    So. In the late 80s there was a club in NYC that was called Dick Shea's Barefoot Ballroom. There was a girl there almost every night named Anana who I used to love to dance with. She inspired this song, and then some cable TV guys I knew said they'd like to make a video out of it. How could I say no? They never finished the video because the studio closed down or something... but anyhow, this is what came of it.

All written and recorded in my bedroom on a Tascam Porta One. Hard to believe this is over 30 yrs ago. Before I even knew I was going to be a bass player :) ...

Its Anana in the video, too.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    tzohn, LukeSlywalker, Benko and 15 others like this.
  8. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Interesting. I also have good memories of listening to it in the late 80's and early 90's. I would often play it on my Walkman while walking through wooded parks.

gebass6 and Joe Nerve like this.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    That's a really cool video. Thanks for sharing it.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:wideyed:

why do you say that? are you 'projecting'?

iammr2, gebass6 and Jeff Scott like this.
  11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    No, I guess I was exaggerating. But it was something that Keith Jarrett said, which is that they played it when they were alone or practicing, but not formally in concert. Nor in recorded form. That was in the past I guess.

JRA likes this.
  12. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The thing is, I don't consider Keith Jarrett to be "New Age", I consider him more "ECM Jazz".

"New Age" for me was more labels like Wyndham Hill, folks like George Winston.

I listened to both for a while in the 1980s, but got bored with the New Age stuff a lot more quickly.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well, keith has recorded (and played in concert) a ton of cool music (self-indulgent to some, but 'other-centric' according to his own descriptions/attempts/ambitions (e.g., his solo concerts). i'm not sure what to make of "new age" as a genre --- it seems more like a 'catch-all', loosey-goosey label in many respects. i hear goofy stuff and thoughtful stuff... like all the other pigeon holes. i don't agree with Jeff Scott that "it got transformed" into smooth jazz: IME = i'm listening to two different 'pathways' (smooth jazz and new age). in any case, 'overlap' is nothing new either.

fishdreams likes this.
  14. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Keith is definitely an exception since he also plays serious jazz. Not to mention classical.
    But his new-agey stuff that he did in the 70's must have inspired a lot of other musicians to do the same.

JRA likes this.
  15. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've been a fan of New Age (for lack of a better term) for over 40 years, with Oregon (if you care to call them New Age) being one of my earlier influences, and I immediately fell in love with Andreas Vollenweider's music when I first heard him in the mid '80s. Of course there's some other stuff they call New Age that I find to be kind of 'cheesy'.

16. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I always considered this as acoustic smooth jazz. When I think of New Age, I think of artists like Enya and Yanni. I could never get into it, but I loved Acoustic Alchemy.

Low Down Brown likes this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I am more tha a bit familiar with both of them. I got all the CDs, way back when. :thumbsup:

18. Chad Michael

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    AA was in the new age section of the record stores. Yes I am old.

gebass6 likes this.
  19. Sail away, sail away, sail away......

You can't say that without singing it (just like your ABC's) :roflmao:

Alik, gebass6 and Resonance129 like this.
  20. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The genre coalesced way before Jarrett eschewed electric instruments; while Bill Evans’ impressionistic style might have suggested a new direction, there were other jazzers who drifted away from bop and the like to explore different kinds of moods. One such person was Paul Horn, who, on a spiritual quest to India, managed to record improvisations inside the Taj Mahal, and issued an album of the material in 1968...

That, folks, is real reverb. He went on to do a second volume, also one from inside an Egyptian pyramid, and moved on from there.
    Then, in 1972, this came out...

...heard on a lot of FM ‘underground’ rock stations, the group was still comprised of essentially jazzers for the most part, as well as some folk-ish players. If you could say that ‘new age’ had a defined beginning moment, I’d vote for this. Many members went on to become stars on ECM; but before that a handful of them split off into an ensemble called Oregon...

Perhaps a bit more jazz influence, but it sounds like they were taking in Coltrane’s dabling with world music influences; then there was exploritory hippie stuff(but not exactly ‘prog’)like The Ship...

...and iconoclastic folkies like Robbie Basho and John Fahey who all provided musical motifs earlier on for the emerging genre as it sorted itself out. Will Ackerman, who started the Windham Hill label, was a disciple of Basho. Granted, there were classical influences, and a lot of challenging elements got smoothed out as it became more of a soundtrack for meditating, mellowing out, or nodding off. Plus the electronic strain as synthesizers came in; I’ve noticed that in some music stores Tangerine Dream would be filed in ‘New Age’; maybe their later stuff fits, but their earlier albums are edgy space rock. Then there was Jean-Michel Jarre, Tomita, and the like, plus a few prog and fusion types whose careers had stalled, so they moved into this arena. Ambient, like Harold Budd, spilled over as well, although he hates being tagged as NA(I know this because he told me). There used to be an old syndicated radio show, Hearts of Space, that would cover all this stuff.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020