* ~ nEw aGe mUsIc ~ *

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Anyone besides me listen to any new age music. Just bought a Windham Hill 3 CD sampler. I'm in heaven.....

I'm a sucker for Enya, Ray Lych, Liz Story, Narada Collections, Windham Hill, all that sheeeeit!

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'll admit to liking some of it, particularly if it's bass-centric, eg. Michael Manring, Mark Egan, Mick Karn, David Friesen, as well as the ECM stuff, some of which might fit into the "new age" category. Tony Levin, while not ostensibly a new age guy, put an album out recently on Narada which I mostly enjoyed.

The George Winston/endless-arpeggio stuff bores me to tears, though. A lot of new age "musicians" just sound like they're practicing keyboard exercises with wind chimes in the background.
  3. I am a die hard Michael Manring fan myself. Although his new stuff definately is not not 'new age'.
  4. not so much into new age, but i listen to echoes and really like ambient music.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I like New Age Christmas albums. That is about the only time of the year I listen to what can be considered New Age. The style is too relaxing for me, almost acting as a soporific. AT my age I need music to pep me up and get me going. New Age just doesn't do that. But it is nice to play while sitting and enjoying the lights on the Christmas tree.
  6. Q: What do you get when you play The Blues backwards?

A: You get out of jail, stop drinking and your wife comes back to you...

Q: What happens when you play Country & Western music backwards?

A: Your wife returns, your dog (dawg) comes back to life, you get your job back...

Q: What happens when you play New-Age music backwards?

A: You get New-Age music...

Seriously, though - I find "New-Age" music to be incredibly boooorrriiinnnngg! To me, music has to have interest; contrast, loud/soft, harmony/disharmony, statement/reaction - "New-Age" has none of this - it just goes on and on and on and on... It seems to me that much "New-Age" music could be started anywhere in the piece and it wouldn't reallly matter, as (within each piece) it all sounds the same.

- Wil
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a desire to defend this muisic now, but there's not much I can really say.....

It does go on and on sometimes, although it can also be quite beautiful and melodic. Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast I think has lots of dynamics, melody, and mood - as do the first 3 Windham Hill Winter Solstice CDs. I've heard some synthesized New Age stuff that I've abhorred - that does seem just like sombody showing off an arpeggio they practiced for 6 years. I don't like that stuff either.

I love the Chili Peppers when I want to get pumped, and when I want to kick back New Age Music really seems to soothe my nerves.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Yanni's music certainly has dynamics and structure. I'm not saying this as a joke. I do enjoy Yanni on very rare occasions...those rare moments when I just want to relax.

I do agree with Wil Davis' description of some of the New Age music. It has such a smaeness that it is almost hypnotic. I don't care for that. I have trouble enough staying awake as it is. :)
  9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've listened to New Age extensively and have a pretty large collection of it, over 30 CD's. Artist I haven't heard mentioned are:

Michael Amerlan
    Tim Clark
    Tim Story
    Steve Roach
    Kevin Braheny
    Ken Stover
    Gershon Kingsley
    Michael Stearns
    Mychael Danna

New age has different aspects to it. Some of the stuff by Aeoliah is meant to be ambient, meditative music, so it's not going to be dynamic. On the other hand, recordings by Raphael are among some of the most beautiful recordings that I've heard same for Tim Story. Most of the artist I mentioned are on the "Hearts of Space" label.

I listen to this when I want to relax or when I want to set a specfic mood, usually it just provides presence and the volume is extremely low.
  10. I like some of it, if it has a bit of an edge to it. Not a fan of stuff like Enya... beautiful music but theres no edge to it, Ive heard some new age music that has a kind of folk and psychadelic twist, I like that.
    Also love music over the top of thunderstorms.
  11. Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    Most of the New Age music (if thats what you want to call it) that I've heard is outstanding. I'm referring to the following list of players which are either bass, guitar or piano players.

Michael Hedges-guitar
    Michael Manring-bass
    Don Ross-guitar
    Trip Wamsley-bass
    Will Ackerman-guitar
    Billy McLaughlin-guitar
    George Winston-piano
    Trey Gunn's first solo album-Chapman Stick
    Robert Fripp's work with Brian Eno (highly recommended)
    Phil Keaggy-guitar

I usually define New Age is solo instrumental playing i.e. early Windham Hill stuff. They also have some pretty moving album covers if you're into photography.