Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aguilar cabinet on the way...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djphil, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Well, it's been a long haul, but I finally got my Aguilar cabinet being sent to me. Don't have it yet, but am anxiously awaiting it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not my Elrick in the background, mind you... :cool:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have yet to try an Aguilar cab. Everyone says great things about them. The only downside to trying them is I may want to go home with it.

That cab looks very nice. What will you use to power it?

-Mike

3. I'll be using my beloved Mesa Engineering M-Pulse 600. It's the best amp for what I can afford right now. Plus I'd really have to work my butt off and save up a dang long time before upgrading to like an Aggy DB750 or something. Plus, I just don't need that much power right now. My 600 kills, and for clean, pure tone, it's hard to match it for the price. I plan on getting an Aggy 2x12 sometime in the future to match it.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sounds like you have a nice set-up. I have always been attracted to Mesa, and Aguilar gear, but just can't pull myself away from Eden.

BTW, I am a Spector owner as well.

Congrat's to you bro!

-Mike

5. Let's see yours!

6. I noticed that the cab is a GS112 but the back shot says GS210...that must be a different cab????!?!?!??

Just noticing......

7. Alright! Somebody finally noticed. :)

Well, this is what happened... (kind of a long story)

Ok, so I'm searching for an Aguilar GS112 used, since I don't have the $399 just yet to buy one new. So I'm on Bassgear.com and see an Aggy GS112 for sale (price undisclosed for the simple fact that if I ever want to sell it in the future, I'll be the only one who knows what it went for!), so I email the guy, it'd been about 2 weeks since the ad was posted so I figured it was gone. Nope. I get an email back that evening, get in touch with this guy, Dave L., and he sends me some pictures of it. He's in New Mexico, by the way. So, as I've been looking at Aggy stuff for about 8 months now, I see that the sizing is off and that it has "210" on the input jack panel. I email the pictures to Dave Boonshoft @ Aguilar, and he immediately gets back to me saying it's their final prototype to the current GS112 that was stolen about 2-3 years ago. Turns out that an ex-employee was taking out gear to the dumpster, hiding it, then recently was selling it all on eBay. Dave had found out about this, and went to investigate. So, he emails Dave L. in N.M., they have a mutual friend, P.J. L. who used to be the Veep @ Aguilar and confirms that it's not a stolen model, but 1 of about 5 prototypes that were given to different endorsers, and this particular one was one that Gary Willis (who happens to be close personal friends with Dave L.) used at a clinic and then given away in a drawing. A girl won the cab, and never really used it, and Dave L., after the girl traded it in for some SWR gear (why???), bought it, and then a few years later is selling it.
    So, that's about the long and short of it. It's pretty cool, and even though it's not like the production models, it still stands out as being something different. Has the same speaker, driver, crossover, everything except the side handle and it's a little taller than the production version. Dave L. never even knew the difference. So, with Dave B.'s blessing, it's on it's way to it's new home, my apartment. Very cool stuff indeed, but a definite pain to deal with. But I made a friend of Dave B., and when you get in with someone like that, that's a very, very good thing indeed. :)

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ummmm...OK...here ya go:

-Mike

9. Cool story! Definitely strange to see a GS112 without that goofy spring handle, and the 210 plate is just weird. The history behind that one could even make it some sort of collector's item someday...

BTW, you can "undisclose" the price you paid all you want, but I'm betting it was $300. Seems like I never see a GS112 selling for any other price :p Enjoy Aggie, it's gooooood!

10. Yeah I have several different Aggie Cabs, and something just looked wierd right off the bat, but i wasn't sure what until i saw the GS210 label and no Ohm listing either.

Awsome story though!

11. Close, but even with shipping via FedEx, mind you, it wasn't even that. :) I got a STEAL on this cabinet... Plus being what it is, just makes it that much cooler.

12. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Do you have the dimensions? My guess is that it is 2" taller than the production version, maybe 1/2" or 1" wider. The production version is 19W x 14T x 18D.

It looked odd from the start to me - dimensions and handle. I have a pair of GS112s. I was hoping it was a new compact 15, but I ruled that out because of the relative horn size. I would love to see Aguilar put out a 15 with no horn but the GS112 width and depth. Right now I think I will/would add a Bag End as opposed to a GS115.

13. My Mesa Powerhouse 15" has no horn, which is good, because all of the new models only have that option! Not really sure why... who wants a horn in a 15" cabinet???

14. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I compared my newly purchased EA CXL-112 with the GS112 and in about 10 seconds flat I knew I bought the wrong cab, FOR ME (NO ATTACKS EA LOVERS) I didn't know how much I wanted a fat mellow sound that the gs112s offer. I now own two gs-112s and will soon be powering them with stewart 1.2 and Tech21 RPM!!!

Make love not war.... ;)

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Man....I hope to start a thread with the same title soon!

-Mike

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    waddaya mean mj?

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am hoping to be an owner of an Aguilar cab soon. That way I can start a thread just like djphil has...."New Aguilar cabinet on the way..."

-Mike

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Until I read that explanation, I was looking at that GS 112 a little funny too... Something was just not looking right. Now I understand why.

That sounds like a nice collector's item.

Jai

19. I'm actually getting a brand new GS112 in exchange for giving it back to Aguilar. Since Dave found out it was in fact a failed prototype, he said I didn't need to be playing it, and they needed it back at the shop, since they don't have that model. But the proto arrives today so I can at least check it out before shipping it back to Aguilar.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Did you get the e-mail from Dave telling you to go ahead and send it to me first? I need to check it out before it goes back to the shop.

:D

-Mike