Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aguilar Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DougP, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Ha! made you look.

So is it just a matter of time before Aguilar releases a combo? i would love to see a 2x10 or 1x12 combo from them...

makes me get GAS just thinking about it.

2. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Well.....We are going to show two combos at NAMM in a couple days. One is the AG 500/GS 112, the other uses the GS 212. Anyone who is going to the show, please come by and give them a whack. Our booth is 1525.
    :bassist:

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'd love to see an Aguilar combo. I don't think any of their current heads would work well in a combo, though... Imagine the weight. :crying:

On the other hand, their new AG500 seems like it would be well-suited for a combo. An AG500/GS112 combo would be sweet.

[Edit]: I must be psychic! :D Dave, any chance you might make a 2x10 combo? IMHO, that would work well too.

4. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    We're thinking about it. The AG 500 sounds really nice (IMHO) with the new S 210 cab. Making combos with the 12's seemed like the thing to do first. We're also going to make a GS 112NT.
    "No tweeter" for guys (well, girls too...) who want the small combo and an extra cab. You really only need one tweeter.

Does anyone want a 115 combo??? We thought we could try to make one with a small footprint.

5. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Yes, please!!! :hyper:

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Since we're sharing ideas (sort-of), I thought I'd just dump one of my random thoughts here. :)

I always thought it would be cool to see you guys make a MOSFET power amp (like the power sections of the DB750/AG500) to go with the DB680 or DB659. I love my DB680/DB728 setup, but it can be a pain to carry around sometimes, especially to practices.

I don't know if there's any demand for something such as this, but I just felt the need to mention it. :bag:

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

dammit Dave B., i was daydreaming. you guys are going to put me so far in debt. evil evil Aguilar!

the weight was one of my concerns as well, what i had in mind was a tube pre with a solid state power amp section. i think a 2x10 combo would pair great with a GS112.

would this be a 4 or 8 ohm configuration? also, any hints at price? :cool:

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Wow I think that AG500/GS212 combo will rawk bawls

9. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City

Right, well we could never make a combo before. Our designs were not "combo-friendly". The Ag 500 is pretty lightweight among other things. No tubes in this one.
    The Ag 500/112 is 8 ohms only, so you can add another 8 ohm cab for larger gigs.
    The 212 version will be available at 4 and 8 ohms.
    We're still working up the prices. It will probably retail for a slightly more than buying the pieces separately, because there is a little additional materials and labor involved.

Dave

10. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    Hmmm...........it's a thought. I really appreciate everybody's input and ideas. Thanks!

Dave

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Dave,

Thanks a LOT for making yourself available to discuss some of Aguilar's new products. I've owned a pair of GS 112's and thought they were great. A couple quick comments.

1. On the concept of a 1x15 combo. I dunno, I don't see many 1x15 combos succeeding in the market anymore. Name one that's selling well (Peavey "starter amps" not included).

Used to be, you needed a 15 to get the bass out. I think somewhere along the line people figured out the secret is a smaller, higher quality speaker and MORE POWER. And an extension cab if needed. If you DO go ahead with this, I'd think you'd want to make sure you could at least stack a GS112 ON TOP of it. Still, not many combos are being built to have cabs thrown on top, for obvious reasons. At a minimum, you'd probably need to use a Neodymium driver. Now I'm rambling.

2. On charging MORE for a combo than separate pieces, I'm skeptical. There's a saying in corporate finance that "options are valuable." In other words, I find it hard to believe most electric players would pay more to give up having the ability to run their Aguilar head through different cabs. There's a freedom there and if anything, I'd expect to pay less if my Aguilar head and cab fused. It's like your head gives up dating and gets married! The upright crowd may have other things to say on the matter.

In any event, THANK YOU for your company's fine products. Also, thank you for staying in America and creating valuable jobs for your fellow countrypersons.

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    My vote would be for a 2x10 instead of a 2x12 combo. but thats me. i would rather have the lower weight and smaller size...hence the reason for me to buy a combo.

13. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    To all and Dave B.,
    You guys at Aguilar definitely know me. I had some troubles with my DB359, but sure enough your customer service was outrageously awesome and helped me get through it. I now have a working head and I better understand how to use it and what the symptoms are of the smartcard feature. Well now that I have fallen in love with the fat warm tone of my tube head, I might need a smaller more compact rig with that Aguilar tone. I've been using an Acoustic Image Contra for my upright gigs, but I could use to have something tighter for my electric, similarly as compact. I have thought about getting an AG500 and an Acme Low B-1 for small gigs, and I'd still have the GS210 when I need it for a slightly larger gig. But my GS210 is an 8 ohm, so I would like to know how much power the AG500 puts out at 8 ohms. Is the preamp section made to sound completely flat and transparent (when EQ'd flat) like the Acoustic Image? I love the tone for electric, and would like to get the AI tone for upright. Is channel 2 capable of a clean tone? I would like to have overdrive but only when needed, and like the thought of a different sounding preamp channel. My suggestion for new product ideas to the folks at Aguilar is the following: For your thought on the 1x15 combo, maybe a compact enclosure with a lighter (perhaps neodymium) speaker, and perhaps another speaker for mids and a tweeter. I really think Aguilar should consider the option of making some 3-way cabs, with a subwoofer, midrange driver, and tweeter. One great idea would be a 112 with an extended voice coil like the Acme 110, for lower range, and a mid driver and tweeter. And I also think that you guys could be making an AG-style amp with at least one preamp tube (12AX7), and perhaps a little more power. How about a cab with one twelve, one eight (or maybe six) and a tweeter?

14. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    not to get too gushy here, but I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really love my two gs112's.

I think starting out with 112 combo is a great idea. it seams like that would be a good middleground, IF YOU GET ENOUGH POWER BEHIND IT! 2or300w @8 IMHO.

Do the good name of Aguilar and all of us a favor and do not compromise on your design standards like some unmentionable companies have done in the past and put out "bedroom only" combos :scowl:

Thanks for asking for our input!

oh, p.s. lightweight is always a plus, within reason of coarse.

15. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    ...........wellll......we are tossing around some ideas. We have a neo 15" that we are testing; but I'm not sold on Neo's at yet. Maybe someday.
    We might make a 3-way someday; but I like a very simple crossover and drivers that can be run full-range.

So...........Thanks for the input. We appreciate it!

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Off topic but just wanted to say thanks for the customer service yesterday. I spoke to Dave B about the tubes in my db680 pre (had a bad one ) and got the problem fixed right away. Gig went well last night and the db680 performed great. :bassist:

17. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    How's that for service guys? The owner of the company posts his remarks less than 24 hours later. Amazing. You guys are the greatest, I can't wait to see what you make next. Now Dave B. and Dave A., let's tag team Bob Capel of Sam Ash and make him carry your line in stock!!!! Why wouldn't they carry the AG500? It's more affordable in a huge way. Maybe cause Musician's Friend...... Well that doesn't mean that we can't offer the best too. I'll have a word with my GM.....

18. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    A small footprint vertical/slightly diagonal (speakers) 2X12 AG500 combo. Everything you need, right guys? Please Dave this would absolutely KILL the market...

19. Aguilar/Dave B.

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    Your wish is my command! (uh...in this case). These (AG 500-212C) are in production, you can order them from your dealer. Goal is to ship late October. The other combo is the AG 500/112C. We are also making a GS 112NT cab, with no tweeter as an extension cab.

20. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Got any pics of them? :)