Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aguilar DB659 prices...ouch.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm in the market for a new pre and have been shopping around for good prices on the Aguilar DB 659 and the Demeter VTBP-201S.
    I just got word today from a retailer and confirmed it with Aguilar that the new "retail" for the DB 659 is going up to $1250! Yeeeeeouch!!
    I was seriously thinking about the 659 but the Demeter is looking better by the moment.
    I know there are dealers out there that will be selling what they have in stock for a decent price but future buyers be prepared! Aguilar just went off the scale! That's some serious cash!
    I've also seen a lot of folks selling off their Demeters and looking for the 659s.
    I've read every post about both and just wondered if anybody had a fresh update on their experiences with these two or the HBP-1.
    Thanks.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    are you sure its not the DB680 you got a quote on? those retail for that much.

btw, i do have both the VTBP and HBP, and yes the VTBP does rock amazingly tubey like. but you prolly wouldnt tell a diff during concert on in a busy mix. besides the parametric is amazingly accurate. i'll write more later, cause my gf is getting really mad. seeya!

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Definitely the DB 659. I was really surprised! I wonder if all of their products are going up.
    I emailed Aguilar and they confirmed it straight up.
    $1250 retail for the 659er.
    Glad to hear you like the Demeters. That's what I think I'm going for.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, crazy...

good to hear you're going with the Dem's. the VTBP has a kicker of a sweet tubey tone. my fav of all the tube-ophile pre's. kern's are a bit too warm and almost tubby, while Aguilar's can seem clinical.

the Dem HBP isnt as tubey deep as its VTBP buddy, but in a dense context when you need that parametric, you cant really tell. besides, the parametric is amazingly versatile, and it still has a terrific sound all its own.

i love the deep rich tones of my Aguilar DB680, but it only does upper mids and low mids shaping, while the HBP does mids and low shaping which is a must for my boomy venues.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    All of the Aguilar electonics products (amps, preamps, poweramps) are increasing in price. Some significantly.

The cabinets will remain the same price, I'm not sure about the OBP stuff right now, but I will check it and get back with everyone on that.

6. Hey Joker,

If you had to choose between the VTB or HBP which would win. I tend to like punchy over boomy, if that makes sense.

7. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    What exactly is "clinical?" :confused:

Also, which of the two Demeters would be better in a prog metal setting that switches off between metal, bluesy/rock, funk, and jazz feels (i.e. which one is more capable of getting a raw gritty yet clear, defined sound)?

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    "I've also seen a lot of folks selling off their Demeters and looking for the 659s. "

I've also noticed some folks offing the Aguilar's in favor of the Demeter preamps. Best to try them both and choose the one that sounds best to you.

I have 2 of the older Demeters. I also have an SWR Grand Prix but the VTBP-201 is still the best sounding preamp of all IMO.

YMMV

Chuck

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm... clinical is a horrible word. musta been the late night 2 hours of sleep. :rolleyes: sorry...

Pfunk,

both Dem's are great for that supa hifi, audiophile, refined tubey sound. just depends on if you need more EQ options than you can handle like on the HBP, or a simple tone machine like the VTBP.

Huge,

seems like you need versatility, but also something aggressive. why not look for a used DB680? the Dem stuff doesnt get quite aggressive enough for my buds who love that cranked SVT feel. i, on the other hand, actually like it ala Patrick Dahlheimer of Live.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I wonder how much the DB 680 is gonna cost now!!?:eek:

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    According to my retail price list, it is the only DB item that hasn't changed: Retail $1995.

If that isn't the case, I will let you know...

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...and confirmed: the DB 680 has not increased in price, the only item in the Aguilar DB series not to have an increase.

13. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Hey all... it's good to be here.

I personally am thinking of trading or selling my SWR SM-500 and getting an Aguilar DB-659 or Demeter HBP-1 but I'm not sure which one yet. So far, I'm leaning toward the Demeter for several reasons:

-defeatable 2-band parametric EQ (probably the most important reason)
    -balanced & unbalanced 1/4" outputs
    -tuner out
    -costs less (especially after Aguilar's lofty price increase!!)

I've not had the chance to even hear both of these units, so I'm kinda' basing everything off of what I read & hear. I would be running it through a Crown CE 1000 & with a DBX 166XL comp/limiter/gate in the loop. Anyone want to wax further about Demeter vs. Aguilar?? All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thnx!!!!!:D

14. Hey all,

Tried the Dem VTBP-201s and loved it. Haven't had a chance to try the HBP ( they didn't have one in stock) but with my onboard preamp, the bart 18v, I can get most of the sounds I like.

Anyone here match it with a Stewart 2.1?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Pfunk,

i think you should go for the VTBP. if you've got the EQ for it, the parametric on the HBP might be a wee bit redundant for you. besides, its nice to have that extra tube, no? :D

16. I agree. I'm going to get the VTBP 201. Such a great clean, yet warm, tone.

Thanks Joker, I'll let you know when I get it.