Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aguilar Gear Debuting at NAMM

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I posted this info int the "who's going to NAMM" thread, but it really deserves a thread all its own.

Dave Boonshoft emailed me the info, and Dave tells me I'm the first to know about this, other than press for future publication. Now you cats are the first group of bassists to be hip to it. :cool:

First up is the AG500 amplifier, which is an all solid state amp with two seperate channels, 500w @ 4 ohms that will retail for $1595 (I'm guessing $1200 street price). Channel one is for clean tone and has a 4 band EQ section. The second channel features overdrive that is adjustable from "vintage tube grit to full on dirt".

Here's how the web page will look:

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Also debuting is a new, "moderately priced" speaker line that will be called "The New Standard" series. First up are the S410 and S210 cabinets, both available in either 4 or 8 ohm versions. They have custom Eminence speakers and an adjustable P-Audio tweeter. They are non-ported, so they're a bit lighter than the GS series cabs, at 83 and 52 lbs. respectively.

Check it out:

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Ooops...forgot to attach :oops:

4. Sounds interesting. I wonder how it sounds compared to their tube amps. This is the first solid state preamp that Aguilar has made isn't it?

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    yea - cept for the DB924 outboard...

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Interesting products. Is that just a taste, or is that all that is new?

What I'd like to see from Aguilar:

1. A revised version of its outboard preamp to include XLR/DI output.

2. A high-end, neodymium speaker line - 4x10's and perhaps a 6x10.

I'd be willing to pay handsomely for each of these . . .

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool... looks somewhat targeted at the Euphonic Audio iAmp 800 crowd. Any idea if the Aguilar solid-state amp has a fan?

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah, looks like Epifani, Thunderfunk, Berg, Aguilar, and EA are all trying to hit the high-end lightweight amp market.

What a year to be a bassist!! :D :D

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    These are the only new items they're bringing to NAMM, don't know what else they have in the works. I'm sure there's more.

I'll make sure and let Dave and the crew know about the XLR/DI equipped outboard pre request. Sounds like a good idea to me too.

Since there will be a lot of TBers at NAMM you can bet there will be plenty of feedback posts after the show.

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    It's funny, but a couple of weeks ago I posted something to the effect that if only Aguilar would figure out a way to make the DB750 weigh 18 lbs...

I told Dave this, and thanked him for fulfilling my request so quickly. :D

Well, I guess this isn't exactly the DB750, but it's very interesting. Can't wait to try it out. Is it January 15 yet?:hyper:

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    very cool!

sheesh, just when i thought i was "done", then UP flares the GAS. :D

i was actually really hoping for Aggie to come out with a small, 500 watt, 15 lbs. box ala the Eden WT550 or like Epifani's Ultra 500 box, but i'm sure they have something in the works for the next NAMM. still, this amp looks pretty snazzy, and anything'll do after hauling around their usually mucho heavier amps. :meh:

also, tho the second channel boasts an "overdrive" element, i wonder how natural it'd sound despite being SS. but i'm sure its sound great given the Aggie rep.

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Actually joker, it looks like this amp is in direct competition with the Epifani Ultra 500. There is an Epifani Ultra 900 in the works as well, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Dave adds an AG800/900-whatever to the Aguilar line as well. Perhaps Nick will have the Ultras at NAMM as well. Anybody hip?

As far as the tone of the AG500, according to Dave it's different, "but still has the Aguilar thing."

:cool:

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    According to the blurb they're REAR ported (which makes sense as they're pretty efficient and go quite low).

Alex

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    interesting....maybe i will hold off on my 210 purchase....thank you for taking the time to let us in on the new Aguilar gear.

-Mike

15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Absolutely right. I didn't notice that. What I meant was the cabs are not front ported, top and bottom on the 4x10 and bottom only on the 2x10, so that would account for some of the weight difference. They're also constructed of "void free MDF". I just went to the website to see what the GS series consist of, and looks like they're in the process of going "live" with the new info now (temporarily can't access the GS product info). Well, we had a 24 hour "exclusive" anyway. ;)

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I like that they went away from the shiny aguilar look - more "incognito" - but I don't like that they used the hartke style knobs. They look like they belong on a bass, not an amp (my mtd has those i think). I LOVED the old Aguilar knobs.

17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I'm with ya on the knobs, van. But I dig the silver finish on the DB series amps and preamps. Makes the Aguilar line very recognizable, even from a great distance.

I think the smaller non-glossy knobs probably look more "appropriate" on the new blackface amps (and perhaps are a bit of a cost-cutter that doesn't affect tone). Really differentiates the two lines, IMO. But you're right, they're identical to the Lakland knobs it seems.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ho-hum, another "two channel" amp with only ONE input jack.

With all the players using more than one bass out there, how come Walter Woods has the only real two channel bass amp?

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I'm going to assume that the WW design was really for the cats playing both electric and upright on gigs, which always requires drastic EQ changes.

This amp is designed, again I'll assume, for the type of player that likes to get two different sounds from the same bass. The rocker can go from a clean sound to a dirty-as-you-like-it grind at the click of a footswitch, and a funk/jazzer can do the same between clean fingerstyle and a clean (or gritty even) slap tone. IMO overall there are more bassists, especially non-pros, that use a single bass on most gigs. Generalizing, I know.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have often wondered that myself. I very often bring both a fretted and a fretless to a gig. They're an identical pair, so I can get by with the same settings on a single channel, but when I didn't have a matched set, it was a pain without a real second channel. And if you bring an EBG and an ABG, as I've started to do, you really can use two discrete channels.

Still, the Ag does look like a cool little amp for the right user.