Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aguilar onboard preamp OBP-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by todd 4ta, Oct 11, 2005.

1. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I just noticed this new preamp on the Aguilar site, and I'm not sure how available it is yet.

Basically looks like a 2-band preamp with boost & cut (the OBP-1 is boost only). It will run as 9v or 18v.

Here is the info: OBP-2

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    cool! Wonder if it's a cut down version of the obp-3 (rather than an expanded obp-1) given the treble frequency is 6.5khz (obp-1 is 4khz,obp-3 is 6.5khz).

3. i'd say to keep the component inventory to a bare minimum, its a cut-down obp-3...

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think a treble-bass boost-cut OBP-1 would be great, but a chopped OBP-3 is really lame. Really.

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Even though I agree with you wilbyman, why do you say lame?

I think bass cut on a bass preamp is lame just so you all know...

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Two-bands and Three-bands are voiced differently. The OBP-3 is voiced with the treble freq's pretty high, and the mids are adjusted at the mid freq know. With the OBP-1, you get the upper mids covered by the treble knob as well as the highs. With the OBP-2, it looks like you have very little control over the mids at all. Lame.