1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Aguilar onboard preamp OBP-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by todd 4ta, Oct 11, 2005.

1. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I just noticed this new preamp on the Aguilar site, and I'm not sure how available it is yet.

Basically looks like a 2-band preamp with boost & cut (the OBP-1 is boost only). It will run as 9v or 18v.

Here is the info: OBP-2

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    cool! Wonder if it's a cut down version of the obp-3 (rather than an expanded obp-1) given the treble frequency is 6.5khz (obp-1 is 4khz,obp-3 is 6.5khz).

3. i'd say to keep the component inventory to a bare minimum, its a cut-down obp-3...

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think a treble-bass boost-cut OBP-1 would be great, but a chopped OBP-3 is really lame. Really.

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Even though I agree with you wilbyman, why do you say lame?

I think bass cut on a bass preamp is lame just so you all know...

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Two-bands and Three-bands are voiced differently. The OBP-3 is voiced with the treble freq's pretty high, and the mids are adjusted at the mid freq know. With the OBP-1, you get the upper mids covered by the treble knob as well as the highs. With the OBP-2, it looks like you have very little control over the mids at all. Lame.