Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aguilar Plus Rig--with Pics!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, May 13, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, I finally have my new rig complete (all that I'm missing is a power conditioner). This thing sounds ridiculous--anyone at the Atlanta Bass Get Together can attest to that. The cabs sound great when the DB750 pushes them, and they can really fill a room. The head sounds great with the tone controls all set at noon, and I haven't really found a need to tweak too much--I'll get with a drummer, or two in the next couple of days so we'll see what happens then.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rack is heavier than I had planned on, but the tone is worth the weight. So much for an easy to move rig--oh, well, at least the cabs only weigh 42lbs each...:D I've really enjoyed the blue LEDs on the Aguilar. :rolleyes: It's pretty cool that it runs a full diagnostic on every startup. Plus, Blinky Blue LEDs = Big Fun....
    The Alembic Superfilter works well with the Aguilar, and I think the two give me a fairly wide palette of usable options to tweak. Also, the Aggie has the option of running the effects loop either series, or parallel so there are tons of ways to mix dry and processed sounds.
    [​IMG]
    Today, my 70s MuTron III showed up. I'm already having a blast with it--too bad it didn't get here in time for the bash. I really can't think of any sound that I want that I can't get now. I've only begun to foll around with the MuTron, but I've already found one cool sound with a big mid burp out of the MuTron and then adding an earthshaking bottom with the Alembic to fill the sound back up. I've never had such useful tools to use on bass before.

I haven't been this jazzed about playing in a while. I know it's all in your hands and head but new toys sure can inspire you to want to play.

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    oh man! that's an awesome rig. is that a '75 reissue you're playing? is that a j-retro pre?

steve

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In 2000, I used an all-Ag rig that belonged to a bassist who was in the hospital for 5 weeks, (I was subbing.

The rig had an Ag 750 and that was, without a doubt, the finest power amp I ever used, including a Crest I had when my spine was younger.

You're not just one lucky man, monkee, but you have damn fine taste in amps to boot!

4. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    now could you tell me where you live and when you won't be home??:D

Really congrats though, that is a most be-y000-tiful rig!! i'll have whatever your having!:D
    lp

5. Hey Pal, that's close to my setup! Those AC-powered 'Tron's rock!! I use mine in conjunction with my DBX subharmonic synth; so great. I use EB-MM HD212's for my dubwise setup.
    I am seriously lusting after your SF-2...should I buy one or what?? I have a full Alembic filter system in my Warwick Dolphin5 and love the way it shapes my tone...that SF-2 would probably be just what I needed for dub-support.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    see what happens when you let the monkee's outta the zoo?!?!?!

[charlton heston on]

those damn apes!!

[charlton heston off]

j/k! :D

really, monkee-man, that is one supa sweet rig. sheesh, and i thought the rig wasnt enough, you go and add a sweet lookin' Fenfer bass in sunburst w/ black block markers to boot!!!

btw, what kind of upright?? german?

7. Hey y'know that yer new AC-Mutron III has a "cutoff" trimpot for the down mode in it. This way you can set it so the gain isn't out off control and you get the sensitivity you need w/o the major volume hike. Take a look, it's there.
    Do you keep your SF-2 on all the time or just bring it in for "dramatic" effect?

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Let's see, to comment on each post:

Steve--Yup, MIA 75 Reissue with JRetro, BadAss II, and Fralin pickups overwound by 5%. I dropped some TI Powerbass strings on there, and it sounds huge.

Rick--Yes, I do have good taste. :p

lpbassics-- I have hardwired my Psycho Attack Cat directly to the doors of my apartment. You can try and get in without waking him up, but I wouldn't chance it. I have 3 inch scars on my legs, and he likes me... ;)

jokerjkny-- It wasn't a matter of getting out of the zoo. It was a matter of getting on the phone to Gard with a credit card in my hand--even more dangerous.

The upright is a Strunal 5/20 that I have been sadly neglecting. One of my goals for the year is to find a decent teacher in Atlanta to get up and running (walking?) on it.

Mad Subwoofer--Yes, you want an Alembic SF-2. Run, do not walk. I will probably find that I use it more for some basses than for others. While the SF-2 doesn't have a bypass, I can use the effects loop on the DB750 to remove it from the signal path if I want. Very handy feature.

I'll be looking for the trim pot on the MuTron. Thanks for the tip. I have only had a chance to mess with it for about 30 minutes, but I like what I hear so far.

Can you say Rig Nirvana? Now, if only my 8 string fretless would show up....

9. Bassmonkeee,
    Very impressive. You have to be shining right now. I still can't make up my mind about a set of GS112 or single GS212. Waiting for you and Dave to a/b. Please hurry, please....
    Question: I just got a new Lakland Jazz US and it also has the Lindey Fralin's on it. I see you like the TI strings. Did you ever try DR Sunbeams? I think you might have posted about that on another string. I find the DR Suns great on my Lakland Deluxe, but found that after a couple of days on my Jazz they became floppy. I kind like a little more tension, (not the kind from my kids or job).

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I was just talking to Dave about getting all of our gear together tonight to AB everything. So, you'll have a full report tomorrow.

I've got DR Sunbeams on my USA Curbow 6, and they sound really nice. I'm planning on putting flats on the 6, and grabbing some Powerbass strings for my US Curbow 5 (that currently has flats...).

The Powerbass strings on the Jazz are about 6 weeks old, and still sound new. I'm anxious to hear the low B of the Powerbass set. These don't have the low tension of the rest of the TI line, but they have tone for days.

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I'm using Powerbass on my five string... The low B sounds great! Mine are about 8-9 weeks old, and sound fairly new.

12. Good Morning B-Monk and Odd. Glad I have some company this fine morning. Thanks for the quick replys. I will wait until tomorrow for you compairisons.

DR's. I must have gotten a bad set, or somehow screwed up when I installed them. They come with the warning about possible unravel from the round core, but they seemed all right. I might try a set of the DR Low Beams in nickel too.

Hey Monk, how do you think a single GS112 would sound with a Eden 210xlt sitting on top long wise? I'm just "jonesing" like crazzzzy.

13. Hey Bassmonkee, what was that Atlanta bass get-together all about? Any plans for others? I'd love to go to an event like that.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...man, my skull felt smaller after y'all had that rig all wired up Sat nite...the Aguilar "Wall Of Doom"...:eek: :D

Wadda tone too!

Shame no one thought to "compare and contrast" the 212 vs two 112's while it was all set up right next to each other. Oh well, just gives y'all an excuse to get together, make lotsa noise and p!$$ off the neighbors, hmm??? ;)

Take some pics of the entire setup, willya? I'll make sure that all the Aggie folks see it!

...now, you got any room left on that card, B-Monk???? ;)

lpbasics, take that warning about the Psycho Attack Cat seriously, I saw the scars on B-Monk's legs...was gonna crash on his couch, but opted to truck over to Casa de Siff instead. I don't think I would have slept well wondering where the cat was....:eek:

peteroberts, damn, I thought every Atlanta-area TBer possible was at Hacienda Hambone Sat nite. How'd we miss one??? http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47392

15. Congrats on the new rig bassmonkee. I know i love my DB750 and i'm sure you love yours equally.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sweet rig, dude! that has got to sound awesome. i wish i coulda made the get together to check it out. and maybe get some more pointers on that finger pop triplet thingy. ;)

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey Cookie,

how bout a pic of your rig that we've hearing so much about as well? i'm sure its sweet! :D

18. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    i wanna see this 'psyco attack cat'!

does it compare to...

19. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice rig man, enjoy it!!!!!

What does the Alembic Superfilter exactly do???
    Never heard about it before.

Thanx
    Ignacio.

20. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    Congrats on a great rig. The 750 is an amazing amp. What a great mix of power and tone! Who says you can't have it all.