Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Aguilar SS amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvtwin, Apr 5, 2001.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    After just getting a Aguilar DB728 (DAMN heavy) power amp, I hearing that Aguilar is putting out a tube/SS hybrid amp now. It's called the DB750 (I think) Has anyone heard (of) it? There's nothing on their web site. Any Idea's?

(Still can't get enough of that tube sound!)

2. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Yes, it's the DB 750. SS power with the DB 659 preamp built in. 750 watts. I'd love to hear one. They should be hitting the streets now, if not very soon.

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If it's about to "hit the streets" why isn't there anything about it at all over the net? Where did you see information on the 750?

LKaye

4. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I talked to an Aguilar distributor in February. It was supposed to be out by April. I don't understand why Aguilar hasn't put any info on their site yet. Maybe they're running behind on the production. There was an earlier thread about it in February. If you want a look at one, go to https://www.guitarboutique for a picture.

5. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Well, who ever is the first to see or try one, please post a reply!

I'd be very curious to know how it stacks up against their tube stuff!

I did catch wind that the amp is affordable (?). It should list around $1300.00 mark.

6. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Why dont just Email Dave Booneshoft and ask him.
    He is very cool and Im sure he would tell you all about it.

Im sure its a great amp but I doubt its better than the 728. Just different and more affordable.

7. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Try steve(dude)barr.He's an aguilar dealer and should have some info on them and release date.Good luck!

9. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    well, now I got a picture of the upcoming, soon to be in a store near you soon.......uh yeah right. Looks good to me anyways.

10. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    the new ag lists for about $1900 and is selling for about $1300. if anyone is interested you should go to steve barr at the vintage bass trading company for your aguilar gear. i called around to a lot of aguilar dealers not long ago, and the vintage bass trading company's prices are by far the cheapest on aguilar stuff i've seen.

and there's a post on the dudepit about the db750 that has a press release from ag printed out detailing a little more info on this amp.

if anyone decides they're tired of the weight of their db728 and goes to a new db 750, feel free to email me if you're looking to sell your db728, i'm looking to get an aguilar all tube set-up.

11. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

I talked to PJ, a rep for Aguilar, and he said this amp is as close to tubes as your going to get but that the DB728 is still the real deal! I still want to hear the DB750, but I don't think I'll give my DB728 up any day real soon just yet! ;)

I'm not sure were your from, but another place to check out for Aguilar gear is an online co. called hairballmusic.com Allen Harrison owns the store and is very easy to work with. Don't mind the prices on his site, call him, and he'll work out a MUCH better deal then listed. I picked up my amp and cab at half off anywhere else I looked. Worth a look if your serious.:)

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    WHy did I read this thread???
    Now I want one!!
    I only try their pre-amp, I don't remember the power amp I was using. Maybe QSC, and it sound incredible!

13. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

Try it with their tube power amp (DB728) and you'll never look back :D

oh my aching wallet! ;)

14. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    hey jvtwin,
    is hairball music where you bought your db728?
    how much did you pay for it?

15. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Yes - I payed about $1700.00 with tax (Calif.) and shipping. Far cry better then the $2100.00 I kept getting qouted from everyone else (excluding tax and shipping) Again let me stress that you call and talk to Alan Harrenson (Owner) Don't pay too much attention to his list prices on Aguilar equipment. He will deal!

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    $1300 is not bad for a 750 watt hybrid amp. If it's only 500 watts at 4 ohms though, and 750 at two, that's kinda useless in my mind.

Having had a DB359 in a rack, if it weighed a ton and a half (please remember I'm not 25 years old with strong back and a lousy day gig), a 728 with a decent preamp in a good rack's gotta be a hernia in the making, regardless of how great it sounds. I happen to prefer the hybrid sound over straight tubes having had both recently. How much of that was the heaviness of the tube head vs the more portable hybrid, weighed (pardon the pun) against the small difference in sound probably came into play.

My 359, a lightweight tube head, weighed a freakin' ton and was responsible for several rips in my cars upolstery!! It also did not have enough tone variance for the wide variety of venues I play in. It needed an additional eq which added another 5 lbs to my rack.

I sold it and am looking into a GK 1001 ( I know it's all solid state!!1) , Ashdown or other 500+ watt @ 4 ohms hybrid for a backup amp on the bigger gigs and a main amp on the smaller ones.

If the new Aguilar is 750 watts at 4 ohms, I'll definitely look into selling my current amp and look into that one as the main piece, but my guess is I'll need an outboard EQ.

LKaye

17. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Larry,
    Check out the attached file. This should answer your concerns.

18. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The new heads specs can be seen at the Dude pit site.Its 750@4ohms-975@2ohms.Should be adequate dont ya think.Good luck!

19. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Hi Larry,

The key here is think Walter Woods. I just read that someone got one of Walter's amps that had been ordered and cancelled after building. My next amp is one of Walter's, but I have to wait a bit as I just dumped a bundle on a new vehicle.

Rob

When it comes to money for bass toys------Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Walter Woods heads are great from what I've heard but the problem is there is a two year waiting list to get one from Walter himself. If you can find a used one for sale or one like the cancelled order Laker was talking about I'd say go for it right away before someone else pounces on it. When I was in Tokyo I went to this little music shop that looked like a dump from outside but when I stepped in lo and behold the place was filled with vintage Fenders and a bunch of Foderas. It also had lots of high end cabs and guess what, a Walter Woods head. At the time I had no idea what it was so I didn't even try it (I also didn't have any money so I couldn't have bought it anyway) but now that I think about it that thing was insanely small. I thought it was a DI box or something like that.