new album underway - a cover?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter Squire, May 23, 2005.

1. Hi folks.

My band is currently preparing for our first "real" album. we have a bunch of solid songs that we've written, but we are also really keen to include a cover of one of our favourite songs.

Its an album track by a fairly underground Aussie band, but we have always played it live and the audience love it.

Do you think that its a good idea to include a cover song on a mainly original album?

2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I can't really help with your question, but I was thinking about this myself... To put a cover on an album, do you need some sort of legal permission from the artist?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, as long as the cover doesn't clash with your style. I'd say go for it... if you can get the rights.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If you can make the song "yours" and you have the bankroll for the royalties; I say do it.

Especially, if it is wierd and differs from your band's normal sound.

Like if STGM did a Tom Waits cover. I think I'd be content to die afterwards. Or if Horse the Band played a Police song.
  5. I say go for it, as long as it suits your style AND people will know its a cover, its annoying hearing a song then finding out later it is a cover from some other band youve never heard of
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, print the credits really big next to the song, don't hide it under piles of thanks and special thanks.