New Alembic Elan for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Jul 7, 2005.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Hi everyone,

Latest addition to my stable is a 1990 Elan

Really liking this bass, quite a jazz bass tone but a tad richer and smoother. I will post some sound clips when I am able to!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That brings back memories. I had the five string version around 1992 and I traded the damn thing for a Steinberger! GAS has made me do some stupid things. That Alembic is one of several basses that I should never have let go.
  3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Looks like it is in great shape!
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    my first impression about your new baby was..oh my god nice Ken Smith.
  5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thats one of the better lookin Alembic i've seen. nice score!
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Good looking bass. What's the top on it? Walnut?
  7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    is the string spacing as tight as it looks?
  8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    A good fried of mine has a 90's Elan 5 string. To this day, it is the nicest instrument I have ever played! (and I've played some nice ones) My top five has 5 to 10 that revolve in and out, but that Elan remains at number 1. It also has a killer buttery tone with some warm mids.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I dig it! A lot more than some of the Alembic body styles I've seen. Reminds me of a Hanewinckel Fusion.
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Looks like Macassar ebony to me.

11. Oh my Gawd!!!

That thing is just amazingly b-e-a-utiful... If that thing had a "fun-hole," I wouldn't need my girlfriend anymore...

...Well, I won't go that far. :D

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You call that tight? :eyebrow:
    Looks like normal spacing to me, around 17mm

Anyway, nice catch! :cool:
  13. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    It is indeed maccasar ebony. It weighs a ton and yes the spacing is a little tight (nothing compared to the series 6 string) but very comfortable. I just wish I could afford some decent strings but looks like that is going to cost me the earth!!

Cheers for the kind comments.
    P.s, anyone know what the two trim pots in the back adjust? I am guessing it is output vol and maybe q freq?

14. I said it before, back in the Alembic Club, but I'll say it again: congratulations Chris!
    You found yourself a great looking Elan, must have a massive sound with all that ebony involved!
  15. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks a lot folks. Kungfu- That thread on the Alembic club was in fact me! Vol for each pickup makes sense. As it is the output is very close to my Vigier/marleaux so I will balance them exactly later on.

I expect to take some more pics later this afternoon so watch this space! I love playing this bass, the attention to detail is beautiful; even the headstock has layers of purpleheart!

The ebony do doubt adds to the big tone of this monster. And the weight, I dare say!

16. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Chris...very nice bass... Ive got a 4-string orion with diff wood than yours, but I came away with the same impression about my Orion as you did your Elan (i.e., very jazzy but more complex tone) -- in my case, my orion has a more distinct woodier tone which makes soloing the neck PU for the p-bassy sound better :-D Enjoy!
  17. Very nice!!! Love the Macassar top.

18. Chris h, can I ask how much it cost you?

I've always loved alembics, and I'm just curious how much they (but yours in particular) cost used
  19. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Thats a very classy Alembic, congrats.