New Alien Audio Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Jul 12, 2016.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Just got in my new Alien Audio Constellation 5-string bass in time for our big 3rd of July concert. Debut before about 6,000+ people at Idlewild Baptist Church just north of Tampa. Was going to get a Sadowsky, but was very impressed with this bass in the hands of Gary Lund, a Nashville session player, who played it on the Smoking Section's cover of Uptown Funk. Started researching and finally found the maker, and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Chopper Anderson. Decided to place an order for one just like Gary was playing in starburst, but later switched to Vintage White (Fender No. 41), or to me "Chris Squire yellow." I love all the tweaking potential on this bass, and the double-your-pleasure dual Nordstrand split coils. The bass is 34" scale and weighs in below 9 lbs. Very comfortable. Quiet. Southbound Custom out of Nashville, Tenn. did a great job on the finish. Like porcelain. Would love one in Sea Foam too! Set up for the serious bass player. Now if I can only do it justice. Despite being on a month-long tour, great communication with Chopper. Great guy. Only delay was with the Nordstrand pickups. Must be popular pickups these days. Less than a Sadowsky...by the way! And American-made.

Attached Files:

5StringPocket likes this.
  2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    After an unfortunate "soft fall," I thought, I had two gouges in my vintage white paint. I decided to have my local master luthier sand off the paint, which he said was not adhering well (primer/paint/clearcoat) and go natural. Turns out the alder looked pretty nice to begin with. We finished it with teak oil which provided a lighter coloration and left a silky feel. We also found that the pickup area was routed too deeply, making it impossible to get the pickups secure and at the right height. I had this problem from the beginning. He cut a piece of wood to size and glued it in the cavity to better screw in the pickups. Finally, I think I'm getting the full orbed sound I wanted this bass for. We also had to cut down the mahogany tone block at the neck joint (and remove a shim) to allow for more play in the bridge for tuning purposes. My luthier also had to replace the frets to feel good about having a hand in its rehabilitation. This time stainless steel frets filed/finished now to perfection with a new bone nut. I am still very happy with the bass. It has a rock solid fast neck and the pre-amp is unsurpassed IMO. The bass also weighs in now at under 8 pounds.

23415630_10155172280973861_9202344103376351760_o.jpg