Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New All-Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Jan 8, 2006.

1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi! I am going to be getting an All-Tube bass head soon. I am having a little trouble deciding what one to get. So far I am thinking about the new Ampeg SVT-VR that is coming out after NAMM. It is similar to the Classic but has a preamp section like the original one from the 70's. The other one I'm thinking about is a Trace Elliot V8. The problem with that one is I have no idea where to get one. (Can you PM me if you see one for sale somewhere) I also have never played a Trace Elliot. Can you tell me your opinions on these amps? Also, I am definately open to other suggestions.
    Thanks!
    p.s. I play a Rickenbacker 4003.

2. That V8 would serve you well, but chances of finding one... are pretty slim. Keep a close eye on ebay - their other valve amps pop up now n then. Check out the Trace Ellliot Megathread for more info + pix!

can't comment on the SVT.

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  4. WAIT...HOLD ON A SEC...

Ampeg is comming out with a reissue of the OLD OLD classic...

SOLD to me.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmm I havn't heard about the new Ampeg. I may finally have a modern Ampeg product on my GAS list! As was mentioned, the Mesa is good, and other Trace models are great too but difficult to find. An Aggie DB 728 is great if you can find one and want a tube poweramp with choice of pre, as is the Demeter power amp. The Sadowsky tube amp has gotten rave reviews, but I dunno where ya could find one...

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you can find a V8, prepare to enter into a bidding war for it, when a V6 came up in the UK, I found myself in a 6 way bidding war comprising entirely of TB members. I lost :crying:. TB member Gareth won that one.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...how much dough you willing to spend...

~S~

8. I had the starting bid on that, Microbass lost out on that one too

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Can you post a link about the new Ampeg? I haven't heard or seen anything about it, and can't find anything via google.

10. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Not much over $2,000. (If anything over)

I haven't tried that one before, But thanks for the info, I'll have to head down to Bass NW to try it!

Will Do!

11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Oops.

I was wrong.

Google: Your search - Ampeg SVT-VR - did not match any documents.

But there is a new thread here:

Ampeg SVT-VR

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT

How is this different from the current AV? The description sounds identical. I guess I assumed they were making copies of the original one - input gain? I don't need no stinkin' input gain!

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Please don't tell me that this means you are considering selling your V8!!! :eek:

14. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    that's what I'm thinking... unless it just misses.

15. Too true, input gain is for the weak!

16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If he does then I will beg on the streets until I can afford it :O. It's mineeeeeeeeeee!

17. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    If you haven't ruled it out yet, and don't mind slightly less power than ampeg/mesa, check out the Orange AD200B.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Heck, as long as we are throwing out suggestions, then don't forget:

Any of the Trace V-series (V4, V6, V8)
    Any of the Trace Valve series (Twin, Quatra, Hexa)
    Trace VA350/400
    Eden VT-300A (just don't use the footswitch)
    Peavey Classic 400
    Any vintage Ampeg
    and the mother of all tube amps, IMHO, the Sadowsky SA200.

I'm sure I'm missing some other great amps, but if you do some searches, you should get lots of recommendations.

Tom.

19. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    tombowlus,

You are indeed missing the Fender Pro 300 ( SUNN 300T ) and the Ampeg SVT-CL or V4BH which are great all tube heads as well ! :)

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, IMHO/IME, the Fender/Sunn 300 isn't quite up there with some of the others, and the SVT-CL isn't on the same level as a vintage SVT. I haven't heard the V-4BH, though.

Again, just my opinion.

Tom.