1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Allparts P Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Klaxxi, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Klaxxi

Klaxxi

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    My new allparts neck came in today and so I thought I'd post some pictures and give a bit of review. I bought it sight unseen off reverb and it worked out pretty well I'd say. First ill say it feels really solid, big chunky neck profile. This one has a 1 5/8 inch nut width and a deep c back of the neck. This is the PRO model with the truss rod in the heel. Craftsmanship seems quite solid.

Really nice grain on the headstock. Probably my favorite thing about the neck. There is a black line of unknown origin between two tuner holes. Isn't a crack, just some discoloration.
    Snapchat-1382941071. 20181029_103048_Burst01.

The back of the neck has some nice grain as well.
    Snapchat-2141746562.

Unfortunately the rosewood on the fretboard is pretty light and streaky. I've seen some people use dye to darken them up and I might try that myself once the finish gets put on.
    20181029_102859. 20181029_102911.

Fits in the pocket very snug. There is a tiny gap about thick enough to fit a sheet of paper into. I'm guessing that's pretty normal though, and if not some sanding can help I'd imagine.
    20181029_102942.

A shot of the neck with the body. It fits tight enough that I can pick up the bass by the neck and carry it around without the body sliding off.
    20181029_103215. Snapchat-1267056328.

el jeffe bass, NKBassman and metron like this.
  2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    IMO no dye. Embrace the light and streaky, I think it looks great.

The dark line is natural minerals or some such in the wood. It's very common in my experience.

Gluvhand likes this.
  3. Leave that rosewood alone, it's beautiful.
    I would treat it with lemon oil or some sort of fretboard treatment.
    Allparts necks are excellent.

4. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    ^^ I also think the rosewood fretboard looks really good as is. The streaks add a lot of character IMO.

Is that an MJT body? Looks great and I like the color. Are you going with a tort pickguard?

5. Klaxxi

Klaxxi

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    It is indeed an MJT body. I was thinking a 3 ply black but I have considered tort as well. Might buy one and do a comparison.

Mockup of what I've got so far. The guard needs to be scratched up and less shiny but it looks good with the yellow I think.
    Snapchat-2034778660.

flatwound62p, jhb138 and TDR1138 like this.
  6. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    Yep, I agree that the black looks sharp. Provides a nice contrast with the body color.

The bass is looking great. And with the Allparts neck it will play like butter. They are really that good!

7. That wood is beauty, right there. Put some linseed oil on there, it'll really make those colours pop :)

Ps. I really dig the yellow body, too.

8. Klaxxi

Klaxxi

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    I like it as well. Couldn't find a yellow p bass so I decided to make one :D

pie_man_25 likes this.