Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New alternative to changing bass color.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 14, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I got bored last night looking at the boring black color of my bass so I decided to change it. Too lazy (and cheap) to repaint the body I decided I'd use blue tape to cover the body. The tape is sort of like a grip tape but thin like scotch tape. From far away the bass looks like it's been repainted but up close you can obviously see the layers of tape. I still have a ways to go until I completely cover the body (I only had one roll :(). I just wanted to share my idea for anyone bored with the way their bass looks and are looking for a quick cheap way to change the color. This tape was found at a local 99 cents store.

2. Its the nicest idea i have ever heard!!!!!, speacially if you are bored of those ugly highly figured top woods......

.....Man, I would love to see how the double neck monster of JT would look like with blue tape .... :D

............Please repaint your bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    My bass is cheap, don't wanna waste time or money repainting, as I've already stated.

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I forgot, the upside is you can just take the tape off and you're back to your old color. This stuff prevents scratches too.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Hmm... I had a white P-bass that I taped sorta like Eddie Van Halen's guitar on the 1st VH album. When I took the black tape off, the finish underneath the tape was discolored. Not a real problem with a black bass, I guess...

Another problem is the goo that often remains after tape/sticker removal.

But as you said, with a cheapo bass, no big deal.

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I guess it applies more to solid colors.

7. That's almost how I "painted" my Squier. It's blue with a white pickguard. I thought, "Hey, that would look pretty cool to have an American Flag bass," so I got a hold of some self-adhesive contruction paper, and stuck on a few red lines on hte pickguard, and a few large stars (in the correct pattern) on the body. Even from close up it looks painted. You acutally have to FEEL the bass to notice it's paper. And it looks damn cool, too.

Rock on
    Eric

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    maybe we should combine this thread with the "plaid bass" thread. get some interesting combinations there.

9. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    You know JT, I was thinking of posting a reply to that thread telling them to use tape but it'd be sort of hard to get straight plaid lines.

10. I saw a band called Splitsville a while ago and the bass and guitar had this silvery adhesive on as an ornament. Did not cover the whole instrument... but it sure looked interesting.

I've seen other bands do the silver adhesive thing too...

11. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I kinda like the idea of taking that plastic material that's sticky and putting it on the bass. someone said that in the plaid thread, but it's a good idea!

Tape sounds cool too

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    when you go to take that tape off, its going to leave a sticky residue... it will be pretty nasty..... but then you can just get a new bass ;)

13. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I think you can get some of that sticky stuff off with something like rubbing alcohol. I could be wrong...

14. How about gluing on some foil?:rolleyes:

15. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I peeled some off nd it doesn't leave any residue. If it does I can just melt it off with a blow dryer.

And that tin foil comment was just plain smart.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You know what they say... one man's tin foil is another man's, uh, plastic tape. :D