1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new American Deluxe Jazz V, which color?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fjs1962, Aug 27, 2012.

which color should I get for tone?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2012.
  1. sunburst (alder/RW)

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. black (alder/maple)

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. natural (ash/maple)

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. fjs1962

fjs1962

Aug 18, 2012
    After fighting with a Stingray 5 for a few days (fighting the sound and narrow string spacing) I've decided to give up and send it back for a Fender Deluxe Jazz V. Unfortunately I live too far from any dealers who carry these so I'm at the mercy of Mail order.

I already have a nice American P/J bass with ash body, RW neck and Duncan vintage style pickups that I like a lot. With that in mind what should I go for in the Jazz V, sunburst (alder/RW), black (alder/maple) or natural (ash/maple) to get the best all-around sound for recording lots of different styles?

2. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    How about Sunburst(alder/maple)?

3. fjs1962

fjs1962

Aug 18, 2012
    That would be cool, but unfortunately they don't offer that combo.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Which is why I voted for Sunburst (Alder/RW) which is just like mine. Hey, if it's good enough for me, it's good enough for you! :)

5. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    I am a big fan of black and maple, but I would also be very tempted to go natural and maple. Both of those basses look SHARP! Well, whatever you decide, post pics when this baby lands.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Some of Fenders Ash bodies are coming out really nice in natural gloss, I prefer that over a color just about any day.

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    +1!
    The natural blonde with maple fingerboard.

8. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I had a natural V that was killer. It sounded great and player like buttah. The natural finish and block and bound neck looked classic and it was extremely versitile. The one thing that blew me away was the black pearloid block and binding against the maple board. From a distance, it looks plain but up close - wow!

9. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I love black n'maple (and planning to buy a 4er one just like that), but on a deluxe V I'd really say "sunburst and alder/rw".

On Sadowsky's Metroline as well!
    View attachment 286247

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    To me the color selection should be driven by the wood choices. If you like Alder basses I'd stay with a solid color and a contrasting fret board (i.e. black body, maple fb or white body and rosewood fb). If you like Swampash basses I'd go with a burst or natural to show the grain. My Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 Swampash is a vintage cherry burst and looks great with the pf fb. A natural swampash body would look great with a rosewood neck or if you like blocks it would look great with black block and bound maple neck.

Because I like Alder best I voted the classic Black body, Maple fb (block and bound if you can). It's a timeless, understated and classic combo.

11. fjs1962

fjs1962

Aug 18, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions! After much thought (and looking at tons of pictures of these on line) I decided to go with the least liked combo in the poll, black with maple neck.

Although my P/J Bass is RW, I've always liked maple necks on most Fenders, so I decided to get maple on this one. Since my P/J is ash, I figured why not go for alder on the Jazz.

It should be here friday!

12. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Please let me know how the bass sounds please! I'm looking at them myself at the moment and need a little pushing!