1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American Fender Deluxe IV or V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peoplefantastic, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Peoplefantastic

Peoplefantastic

Aug 15, 2012
    Greetings!

I picked up one of Fenders New (2011? i think) American Deluxe Jazz basses (V string and in Olympc White) a few months ago.

I like the feel, love the look (esp. the block inlays) The new high mass bridges are pretty great, no need to swap to a badass or whatever. Tuners seem typical Fender quality and I like the control layout...I like having a switch for passive/active instead of a push/pull...sorta.

But after playing it for a few months, there are a few things (esp tonally) that I feel it lacks.

So my question is.....
    • Is there anyone out there that feels the same way?
    • what are YOUR thoughts?

• Is there anyone out there that has done some custom mod's on the bass?
    • Care to share what you've done? Results?

Im just curious is all and would like some suggestions/ideas about what I should with mine so I figure I'd consult with the community first.

Thanks everyone!

2. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Put on a new set of strings. The stock Fender 8250's are nice with tapered E & B strings. That is what I would do.

3. johng999

johng999

Jul 14, 2008
    I really can't fault mine. I did change strings and had set it up to my liking, but once dialed in it is a fine bass. The B string is especially nice. Full and strong, which I don't find on a lot of 5's. But after saying all that, I am not using in much right now. I am playing more 4 string these days on a 64 custom shop NOS jazz, which is a very different beast, and better suited (IMHO) for the blues and R&B that my band does.

4. Peoplefantastic

Peoplefantastic

Aug 15, 2012
    I put a set of D'Addario Nickel Wounds....and they are not cutting through at all.

When the highs are clear then the lows are invisible...and the same vice versa.
    I will look into those those strings though...maybe i should go for a heavier gauge as well.

Thanks!

5. Peoplefantastic

Peoplefantastic

Aug 15, 2012
    Uuuuh...yah, I would too.

Thanks!