1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American Performer Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macmanlou, Dec 4, 2018.

1. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Fender USA is making Mustang basses again. Those who didn't like the pau ferro fingerboards of the Mustang PJ will be glad to see that these are done in rosewood, but they do cost about twice as much.

newmustang.

2. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
  3. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I like it. It doesn't need the J pickup (IMHO). Maybe a Strat style pickup in the bridge position, optimized for bass with a matching cover (no exposed poles).

Clipped, jackn1202, Slater and 4 others like this.
  4. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I wonder what it would look like to have a paint store mix up a matching can of spray paint to spray the jazz pickup color so it's the same as the body? That way it might not show up as much. It does look a little odd, but it sure adds versatility. Maybe if it had rounded off corners like the neck pickups (some g&l's I think do).

bassdude51 and alack like this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not liking the cut down bridge. I much prefer the P/J.

6. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Sometimes the P pickup overpowers the J in a P/J combination. I wonder if this combination (with the smaller split pickup) is a better match for the J. Could be interesting.

jd56hawk, jamro217 and dmt like this.
  7. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    When I first saw it, I was all drool, but I've kind of cooled off.

I wish they would have made a standard, traditional Mustang, even if it might not be seen as exciting nowadays.

8. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Me too, this is really cool, but then I realized the CIJ Mustang that I really want is still out there. Keeping an open mind though.

BluesOnBass likes this.
  9. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    The surf green could tempt me...
    92595D5D-0DD8-4AFD-B081-16724A8D43D7.

10. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    The jazz pickup looks out of place on it. Pass.

11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I'd be nabbing the CIJ on the CME Bassment website if I were still in the hunt for a quality Mustang. Before someone else does.

12. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom SUSPENDED

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    $1200 for a Mustang? Er... um... I donnoh, man.

13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    My CIJ Mustang is really well built. I can't imagine this is worth half again as much.

14. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I really like mine, too. I notice that they routed access to the truss rod adjustment on this one. I had that done to my CIJ as well.

stang3 copy.JPG

nonohmic and Mekana like this.
  15. daveobieone

daveobieone Providing the "musical foundation" since 1966 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Missouri
    I've really enjoyed my MIM Mustang P/J over the past year...and it's an awful lot less dollars! The only two things I found lacking were...The factory set-up was just so-so (I like my strings really low, so it needed a little more work)...The factory strings were lousy IMHO. I run flats on it now. LaBella I think.

If I was going to take it to the next level, I'd likely toss the switch, and install stacked pots so I could have tone and volume on each pickup individually...but I don't really feel the need. I mostly run the neck pickup anyway.

I would prefer the slightly wider neck on the new USA-made one however (1.625 vs 1.5). Somehow I don't think it would cause me to drag the wallet out however.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. Two-Spirit

Two-Spirit Gold Supporting Member

What are yosemite pickups

thanos k, dmt and Jeff Scott like this.
  17. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    All I can find out is that they're alnico, single coil.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  18. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    I like the mother-of-toilet-seat pick guard on surf green.

19. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Unfortunately for us that are old enough to remember, one image still comes to mind with the Mustang Bass…

2186110-danny_partridge_2.

20. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    I feel like popping the standard J in there is both a layup and missed opportunity. I would have preferred the modified strat idea or even better - give it a lipstick and make up for some of the bling you lost with the bridge. I want to play one, but I can't imagine wanting one more than a CIJ which would run me way less.

aaronious likes this.