1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American Performer Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macmanlou, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Wow.

Bummed, and pissed.

First, it comes with a full size gig bag. Really?

But this gets better.

I open it and at first, unplugged feel I'm a little "iffy." The frets are sharp. Not razor I'm gonna cut my finger off sharp, but definitely unlike my MIM or other basses. I'm willing to possibly live with it though.

I plug it in...

Neck pickup - nothing. Nada. Zilch. Its dead.

Bridge pickup, sounds good. Hard to compare with my MIM cuz the strings are pretty dead on that, but I think its got a little more oomph.

I'm on hold now waiting for a return authorization. I'm doing an exchange, but I'm very much on the fence.

I used to hate Fender for heir quality control. I spent 10 years ragging on them bigtime. And then I got lucky for a handful of basses. Are we going backwards now? What's with the quality control? To be honest I can almost understand the dead pickup, things happen - but the gigbag? They couldn't pack it with a gigbag that fits the bass? That's just plain wrong, IMO. As I'm writing this I'm questioning now whether or not I just want to return it...

I'm not a happy guy.

If anyone else got one of these yet I'd like to hear other experiences and opinions.

jazznrick and HD007 like this.
  2. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    That's too bad. Well, at least you tried it!

3. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Sounds like you got a "dog." It's too bad, in this day and age, that there are still dogs coming off the assembly line. There were a lot more of them back in the 70s when a lot of stuff was still done by hand (and presumably an employee on Monday who had been drunk all weekend and still had a hangover). But CNC machines and automated assembly/fabrication don't get drunk and have hangovers.

Mine was picture perfect when I got it and I've done nothing but loved it since first opening the box. I will agree that shipping it with a long scale bag is just plain stupid--especially when they had a GREAT short scale bass bag called the urban short scale bag... which, also stupidly, they just discontinued. Yeah, whichever bean counter made that choice needs to be sent looking for another job.

My fret ends are really smooth, too. I live in a really dry place and I expect to have to file on them when the wood shrinks over time (like I pretty much always have to do), but right now they are perfect.

It really sucks that you were unlucky enough to get a dog. Hopefully the replacement will not be of the canine variety.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  4. I'm going to see when they get them in stock locally, but I really like the sunburst. It's a toss-up between this Fender and the Lakland HB-30. I test drove the Lakland and liked it a lot, somewhat better than an earlier Mustang. I found the finish on my US Fenders (Tele and Strat) better and equal to the Lakland (make in Korea with US set-up). If the new Mustang has the quality, I prefer to buy as locally as I can get.

5. TimmyFbass

TimmyFbass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I liked mine so much I just adopted its twin. I'm really liking these Performer Series instruments. Fender includes the proper short scale guitar Urban gig bag with the guitars....they should have done the same with the Mustang Bass.

IMG_5401.JPG IMG_5402.JPG

6. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    The Mustang guitar is pretty nice. I’ve played a couple and am tempted.

Nice set of twins there!

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Got the new one today.

I'm happy.

The frets are perfect, everything is perfect, and I think @Christcr nailed it in his review. This bass is everything I was hoping it would be, in comparison to the P/J. The P pickup sounds warm, syrupy, and throaty all at the same time - and not ommphy like on the PJ. Can't wait to check it out live.

And on another note, just for those who might be wondering what the PJ sounds like, I took a break from my regular band 2 weeks ago and got to throw the bass into a real R&R setting for the first time (Marshalls, Keys, hard hitting drummer). Just found this video on youtube, and wanna share. I think this thing sounds awesome :)...

We don't really get cooking till around the 9:35 mark, jamming to Won't Get Fooled again. Anyhow... here:

Oatis, Novarocker, Bluzman99 and 4 others like this.
  8. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Well, thanks for that! — I hadn’t realized it, but a little dose of The Who was exactly what I needed :bassist:

Post a clip of the same song (WGFA) with the new bass too if you get a chance someday

Joe Nerve likes this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I would love to do that, but I rarely ever play with that guy any more... I took the night off from my regular band cuz I really wanted to play that show. I love playing that stuff, but at this point in my music career, money comes first. For now.

dmt likes this.
  10. I just tried one out in a local shop and it had hum like a jazz bass. As in one it was silent with both pickups all the way up, otherwise it hummed. Is that right? I thought it would be like a PJ where there's hum only when the J pickup is on. Am I wrong? Or was something wrong with the bass?

11. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Im glad fender is at least building mustangs again. I dont like the j pick up on this bass, the mustang was built as a single pick up bass and should remain that way! If I have an opportunity to play one I will, but im all set with my my cij (circa 1997) 100% stock mustang!

macmanlou likes this.
  12. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I like the Mustang pickup sound.
    I haven't heard the Mustang/J pickup combination, but I'm putting two Mustang pickups in a bass now.
    One is in the stock location and the other at the bridge.
    It's a bit of a tight squeeze fitting the pickup in with that large bridge, but it makes it with some room to spare.
    Putting stacked knobs on it for lots of sound variations.

I would buy one like that if Fender or Squier would make it. It would have saved me a lot of work. ;)

13. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I got one of the last CIJ Mustangs in 2013, and I doubt that I'll ever part with it.

dmt and rockscott like this.
  14. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Same here, my mustang was a1 mint condition, not a scratch not a ding, no fret wear. Someone purchased the bass played it for an hour and sat on it for 15 years! I had to lay out $800. for it as he would not budge on price! After rereading this thread I dont feel so bad now seeing they are going for $1000. to $1200. One of my favorite aspects of my mustang is the punch, you can bounce some bellies with this bass!

macmanlou likes this.
  15. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Tried one in the store. I thought the J added a lot of life to the bass.

alack and GeoKinetic like this.
  16. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Imho putting the j pick up on this bass is like putting an Expensive sunroof on an 1985 K car!

Lex P. likes this.
  17. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Yes, mine is the same. They have done something different with the wiring. I suspect it has something to do with this particular PJ (or I guess we'd better call it an MJ) combination getting a much more convincing J-bass sound than the typical PJ setup. Not quite sure how they did it... but I will find out when I have time to pull it apart and investigate the wiring configuration, because it's definitely not the same as a regular PJ. Whatever they did--me likes. Much better and more even sounding. The J-pickup is actually useful on its own. Together it's a very convincing j-bass sound. Soloed Mustang pickup is... well, a great Mustang sound. Best of three worlds.

As far as having the J-pickup... I'd doubt I'll ever get another Mustang without it. I just sold two of my "regular Mustangs." All I have left of my "traditional" herd is the JMJ, and (please don't threaten to string me up or burn me at the stake).... I have seriously considered adding a J-pickup to it. I have also considered installing a Mustang pickup in place of the P-pickup on my PJ Mustangs. I REALLY like the sound much better with the new "MJ" pickup config. Better than the PJ and better than the traditional single Mustang pickup (or I should say the same as but better with the Mustang sound in there plus 2 j-sounds).

The only other pickup config I'd consider at this point is what Atelier does with their Baby Z Bass (Mustang copy)--two j-bass pickups. So essentially a short scale Jazz bass that looks like a Mustang. It's active/passive as well and sounds great. Reminds me a lot of the sound Marcus Miller used to get out of his old Jazz bass.

philthygeezer and Bluzman99 like this.
  18. Actually I had a think about the wiring of these, and realised it's probably still 2 coils in series in the neck pickup, but both coils wound in the same direction. So you'd get a similar sound but no hum canceling. The bridge pickup would then be wound in the other direction than the neck coils, so you have hum canceling when they're both on. That seems right, maybe it's something weirder though :p

19. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I couldn't get any hum out of the J in the store. like others said it didn't feel like the mini P pickup overwhelmed it either. It added presence and growl to the thump.

20. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    That very well could be it. Meaning the big difference in sound (from a typical PJ) is mostly going to be that "M" in place of the "P." Again, nothing really wrong with the PJ Mustang; it's a great bass, but I far prefer this new pickup config.