1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American Performer Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macmanlou, Dec 4, 2018.

1. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    I’m between this and the new Gibson shortscale!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    From the looks of the new Gibson, my having owned several Gibsons, and my owning this...

I'd say this...

If you like Jazz basses, versatility, upper mids and highs - get this, hands down.

If you like thump, deep low end, and more thump - get the Gibson.

I love the sonic palette of the new Mustang, but it doesn't have that super low end thump. I don't find it lacking at all, and I think every single sound in the bass works including either pickup soloed, but the one territory it doesn't go into is that real dubby thumpy tone. I never had a use for that, so I'm loving it.

Also, if you DO desire that, the P/J will give it to you. The p pickup on the American is more musical and subdued, but the P/J has that thump that I have to pull back on at times. And FWIW, this American vs. Mexican thing is a load of BS in my experience. If I blindfolded someone (and the bass wasn't plugged in) there's not a chance in the world they'd be able to tell me which was made where. They're both rock solid instruments.

Nunovsky, Bluzman99 and jazznrick like this.
  3. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah

Gee.... thanks for causing a GAS flareup. I was blissfully unaware of that Gibson...

Bluzman99, dmt and jazznrick like this.
  4. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Definitely the case.

My JMJ Mustang puts out more "thump" and woofy low end. But, I find the American Performer way more useful in most situations. It has a smooth presence that rounds out the band mix without being too in your face or muddying things up, as the JMJ can do in certain situations (don't get me wrong, I like the JMJ for sure, but this new American Performer just "fits" in the mix better for most of the music I play).

Bluzman99 and Joe Nerve like this.
  5. Adee

Adee

Sep 22, 2005
    UK
    What is the new Gibson short scale?

jazznrick likes this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'd go with the Gibson if those are your options.

jazznrick likes this.
  7. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

BLASPHEMOUS!! Admit you are a closet Fender fanboy. Let it out.

jazznrick likes this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Oh, I've had more Fenders than I'd care to admit. Fanboiz®? Never, as they have too many problems, IME.

Bikeguy57 likes this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    What do you like better about the Gibson?

10. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    It really depends on what sort of sound you are after. I'd love to have them both and I will probably buy the Gibson when it comes out. But I seriously doubt that it will be as versatile in sound as this new Mustang is. It still amazes me how close this thing can sound to a Jazz bass. And with all the other tones I can get out of it, it really is a Swiss army knife sort of bass. I of course get the "Mustang sound," but so many more sounds. The soloed J-bass bridge pickup is actually way more punchy and full than my actual Jazz bass with soloed bridge pickup is. I'm still totally happy with this bass. In fact, as I explore those tones in a group setting, I get more and more happy with it all the time. Right now I'm at about 75% playing American Performer Mustang bass and 25% playing JMJ Mustang. And the JMJ is a great bass that I love. But... for what I do, this new Mustang really shines. I've already had quite a number of comments on how good the thing sounds.

Bluzman99, Jeff Scott and Joe Nerve like this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Does anybody know if an old school or JMJ pickard will fit this. White basses need black pickards. What's wrong with these bass designers anyway?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 8:41 AM
  12. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    For those of you who use flatwounds, here is a sample of a guy playing the American Performer Mustang Bass strung with flatwounds (the only one I've found on Youtube):

Try getting that tone with a "regular" Mustang. ;)

13. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't understand the pearloid pickguard. Personal preference, i know.