1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American Performer Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macmanlou, Dec 4, 2018.

1. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Well that's about 10 times what i remember paying for my competition stripe red mustang about 44 years ago at Manny's NYC. Times have changed.

dalkowski and DinoRock like this.
  2. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    he's grown up

amphlett7, BillMason, OllyW and 2 others like this.
  3. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    that j pickup looks way out of place.

Get the shape of a '51 P pickup and make the bridge pickup like that

THAT would look cool

ICM and j5eugene like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Some people just love these short-scale basses.
    And those tiny split-coils?

metron and Mili like this.
  5. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm pretty happy with the MIM version, but I was pretty interested when I heard they were releasing a MIA Mustang. Unfortunately, they have the old style bridge, which cools the GAS considerably. It wouldn't be a deal breaker if I needed a good quality SS bass, but since I have three now I like it definitely moves it to the "maybe later" category.

6. Ooooo, yes! I don’t care for the sound of the PJ mustang, this looks more promising. too bad about the price though.

7. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I am a Mustang fan, but I think the CIJ's are about as much as I want to spend. I would buy another JMJ mexican version over one of these.

kcolyar, kdogg and macmanlou like this.
  8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I guess I don't get why some don't like the original style bridge. The string-through design does limit the variety of string choices somewhat, but with the LaBella flats specifically designed for the Mustang, my CIJ has all the sustain I'd want. Stock medium scale Chromes and "short scale" TI flats fit and sound good as well.

I don't care for this new Mustang because I rarely have use for bridge pickups, and the price. If they had kept the body original, and mated it to the new neck radius and width, I would be more interested. For that kind of money, I'd get a Birdsong Shortbass.

CalBuzz51 likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I should have kept mine but I wasn't hip to the 1 1/2" A nut width.

Front-800_1028.

What's the nut width on these new USA ones?

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have a Hipshot A Style bridge waiting for this; it'll fit perfectly behind the J PU. I had it on the '97 CIJ MB I had a few years ago (see above).

11. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    From Sweetwater’s spec sheet, 1.625"

I’d have preferred the 1.5" nut myself, but that’s what makes the world go ‘round, I guess!

12. I have a 70's musicmaster with a jazz pickup in the bridge and it rocks. I can't wait to compare the two.

13. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I want to try one but it does look kinda odd with the J single. I won't judge it too harshly until I hear it though.

I guess I would like to see Fender bring back the classic Mustang, US made, with at least a few color options.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I hear ya. Seems more like schmooze than substance, but made in USA is kinda on a comeback tour of late so there is that.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I love this. Thanks for turning me onto The Chats.

I"M ON SMOKO SO LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

ThinCrappyTone and Son of Wobble like this.
  16. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I didn't know it was 1.65. I'm not interested at all now. I'm glad I've got the MiM. A few years back they did a Modern Player SS jazz. I wish they would have done a MIA run of those before another Mustang.

17. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    the jazz pickup looks too big, id like to see a lipstick pup, would match the look better I think.

18. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I like it, but I think the j pick up location stinks! Im all set with my (circa 1997) cij mustang! I have a cedar body/maple neck birdsong short bass, scott built for me in 2015, im willing to bet the birdsong build quality is in a much higher league? We shall see!

macmanlou likes this.
  19. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Mustangs don't generally catch my eye, but I like this.