1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American Performer Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macmanlou, Dec 4, 2018.

1. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    The Yosemite pickups are shellac potted. The original (vintage 1966-1980s) Mustang pickups are wax potted, as are the custom-spec Seymour Duncan pickups on the JMJ Road Worn reissue Mustang.

The new Yosemites look to be the same size as the vintage pickups, but are definitely smaller than the Duncans on the JMJ. You can see the difference (as well as the different size and location of the bridge) in this overlay of the JMJ and the Performer:

Composite.

Holdsg, OllyW, dmt and 1 other person like this.
  2. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I have played a Mustang at a jam once for about 2-3 hours. Played great, sounded great but I am not a fan of its looks. To me its short horned stretched body is blah. Cosmetically I agree with the post that a lip stick would look good on this model. The small split p-ups need something to match or an eye catcher. The surf green colored one is really sweet though

3. See and raise (and I'm more than old enough to remember):
    sloan_chopsuey.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    solderfumes, Pet Sounds and macmanlou like this.
  4. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    The J is ugly and lazy. It's a beautiful bass but the lines are ruined by that. I've been wanting a mustang. It won't be this one.

lowdownthump, EitherOr, pudge and 2 others like this.
  5. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I am really curious to hear the range of tones it can produce. Totally intrigued by this bass.

Coughdrops likes this.
  6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Don't get me wrong, I dig Mustangs. It's just the price.

fhm555 likes this.
  7. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I'm not a fan of that bridge plate. Couldn't they have made the corners a little rounder? The bridge plate on my Squier Mustang looks great, and the saddles work fine, although they aren't up to the standard of most new Fenders, they shoulda stuck with the old look, and slapped some new saddles on the old bass. Or they could have used a regular Fender bridge plate that looks like the one on the PJ Mustang but has holes for string-through.

I know that Fender doesn't have a relationship with Lace anymore, but a Mustang Neck and Lace Sensor Strat bridge pickup (people use em in Bronco basses all the time) would look, and probably sound rad. One of the classic Mustang sounds, and the one I use the most, is pick + flats, and that Jazz pickup is more intrusive than necessary for flat picking.

I'm not sure where this goes in a product lineup that already has the PJ and the JMJ, both of which are more affordable and tempting, although not made in the US. Between the versatility of the P-J and the feel and look of the JMJ, the US model would have to be really special to compete. Instead it looks like they just tried to combine whatever people liked about the two other models and came up with a weird tweener.

macmanlou likes this.
  8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Scott (Birdsong) Beckwith uses the Lace Gold Sensor Strat pickup in the neck position of the Shortbasses he builds "on the side". I'm really happy with the sound of the fretless he made me (it's the very bass he uses in this demo). The Shortbass is $50 more than the new MIA Mustang.

dmt and pudge like this.
  9. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I bet a red, or other high-output Lace Sensor would sound great in the bridge with a split pickup, and look cool too.

macmanlou likes this.
  10. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    their EP is absolutely amazing

AaronVonRock likes this.
  11. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Drop the J p.u. and use the the proper bigass mustang bridge.If they have to have 2 p.u.'s put another split coil in the bridge pos.A squier with the old school split coil p.u.,big bridge and maple board would be pretty cool....and prob. too cheap.

J-Mags and macmanlou like this.
  12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I agree - Love my new MIM P/J. Changed the J to a noiseless and changed the switch to a blend pot - MUCH BETTER!!! With TI Flats it is a monster.

Just the string through requirement would keep me from buying this new one. I had and sold two Mustangs in the past because of the dearth of the special string requirements.

13. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I have one! See my avatar. I'm not in love with sunburst, but it's a serious Mustang w/string through, etc., and the neck is fantastic - deep and kind of narrow, the way a short-scale bass should be. They only made them for a little while around 2011, but they pop up from time to time. Sharp frets like many old Squiers, but that's an easy fix.

Another Mustang that would be cool would look kind of like a Mikey Way or Pawn Shop Mustang, but with a more versatile Humbucker that could do series (humbucker), parallel (old-school Mustang), single-coil (Musicmaster), with a three-way rotary switch on the lower horn where the pickup selector is on the current P-J.

0301082517v1_hi.
    fender-pawn-shop-mustang-bass-172798.

14. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    These new basses are cool - especially the surf green one :hyper:

The modern J pickup looks goofy with the vintage style P pickups.

And I miss the racing stripes! The Japanese Mustangs that came in Ocean Turqoise with that yellow stripe... YUMMY.

I'm still glad Fender is focusing on Mustang basses again though. :bassist:

EDIT: I'm also glad Fender went with a V/V/T configuration, I know some folks weren't too happy with the pickup selector in the MIM PJ Mustangs

J-Mags likes this.
  15. 2 questions.

1. 1200?
    2. Why?

nonohmic likes this.
  16. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I picked up this mikey way here out of the classifieds.Dunc, p.u. w/ ser /par switch it's just about the perfect mustang.On the cheap side $149.99 is the dean hillsoro jr not exactly a mustang but at 150 you can afford to do some mods.If you have decent tuners and a good p p.u. to put in it it's a really cool short scale at a bottom feeder price.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    J-Mags likes this.
  17. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    PullThePlug likes this.
  18. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I wish they put a standard size P pickup in it for aesthetic reasons. Or leave the J pickup off. Glad they're making USA 'stangs again however.

dmt likes this.
  19. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    I think it would look much better with a scpb pickup instead of the jazz. At the price point I'd rather go with a jmj. Or a cij and add the afformentioned pickup at the bridge.

20. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    FWIW, I was down at GC on Saturday trying out everything that had the P configuration pickups, including PJs. I was seeing my ear has evolved enough to "get" the P vs J sound (unfortunately I "heard the light" and have a new bass on the way!), but to the point of this thread, the Mustangs they had there didn't stand up to most of the other Ps and clones regarding that sound. Not even close the Fender Ps. Even some of the very cheap clones produced a tone more comparable to the real thing vs the Mustang. YMMV