1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American Performer Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macmanlou, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    I'll have to try to snap a few when we get some decent daylight here. But, here is one of the photos of mine that Sweetwater sent when I bought it:

FenderAmPerfMustang.

Generally speaking, surf green and seafoam green are kind of close, with seafoam green being more toward blue end of the spectrum. In fact, when seeing them both together, seamfoam looks blue. But looking at it without seeing surf green next to it... I would still call it green (even though it looks blue in this photo next to the above surf green).

Here is seafoam green:

View attachment 3256148

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    lowdownthump likes this.
  2. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I'm usually fond of sunburst.

sunburstmustang.

But I really like the "aubergine", too.

auberginemustang.

jazznrick likes this.
  3. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
  4. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
  5. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
  6. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    OK - I see it now passed right by it. :D

I think anyone interested should probably contact them about it first.

macmanlou likes this.
  7. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    That could be a costly mistake for Sweetwater (I can imagine the "discussion" in the supervisor's office right now :unsure:). Mine came with a regular Fender gig bag... which is an okay bag--better than nothing--but really kind of annoying for a short scale bass. Why they didn't ship with the "Urban Short Scale Bag" is a mystery. Luckily I have a couple of those and it fits very nicely.

macmanlou likes this.
  8. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I haven't seen a new tweed HSC for the Mustang bass available anywhere, so they're probably safe.

9. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    I’ve been looking for a second bass to complement my Orange O Bass with rounds and this is going to be it. Aubergine!!!!

HD007 likes this.
  10. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I like the look of the aubergine. Post some pics when she comes in!

jazznrick likes this.
  11. TimmyFbass

TimmyFbass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2012
    From above: “Why they didn't ship with the Urban Short Scale Bag" Agreed!

Yes the gig bag that comes with the new Performer Mustang is better than nothing but it looks cheap and is for a full size bass.

Fender has discontinued the urban short scale bass gig bag and replaced it with the Fender short scale bass FBSS-610 gig bag. The 610 is the gig bag that should be shipping with these new American performers.

And now it looks like they are discontinuing that gig bag as well. Sweetwater just had them heavily discounted at $10 each regularly $59.99 and are sold out and the link to the description of them has been removed.

You can still find a Fender urban short scale bass gig bag online from a couple of places around $60. As well as the FBSS-610.

IMO the Urban is a better gig bag then the one that comes with the new Performer Mustang and the FBSS-610.

I believe they’re all the same amount of padding but the urban is designed with an open top and edge around the bass whereas the other two are like “taco” designed.

Urban

A4A2BB78-10EC-4159-A452-40C7D38088FE.
    FBSS-610

EA0CDE8A-A8BE-4B30-8D0C-E07B6951059F.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    dmt likes this.
  12. TimmyFbass

Nov 25, 2012
    I just sold two new short scale FBSS-610 bags that I had, and purchased an Urban Short Scale Bass gig bag for the Sunburst Mustang Performer Bass that I just received because I didn’t like the full scale gig bag that came with it nor the “taco” design.

I haven’t even had time to play it yet. I just took it out of the box and checked it out.

here are some pics from where I purchased it. I will post some pics of my own once I get home

IMG_5298.JPG IMG_5302.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    dmt, timber22 and HD007 like this.
  13. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

I dig the scratchplate art on that Musicmaster! :thumbsup:

Uncle K and macmanlou like this.
  14. TimmyFbass

Nov 25, 2012
    Here's my pictures taken with my phone and boy do they suck compared to the ones taken by N Stuff Music.

IMG_5346.JPG IMG_5347.JPG IMG_5348.JPG IMG_5349.JPG

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    First, I gotta say, THANKS :) for this...

I love my P/J, but you just nailed every single thing I'm hoping proves to be an upgrade on the new one I have coming on Tuesday :). My P/J is now my favorite bass, but I'd love to balance out the pickups, and make the J use-able. I'm also looking forward to the two volume controls as I've gotten very used to blending the pickups on my jazz. I'm stoked, and now can't wait till Tuesday :)!

For me a gigbag is a plus. My house is loaded with cases, and I haven't used one in over a decade. The last bass I bought from MM I told them to keep the case, and I bought a Gigbag for it. That's how much I HATE getting cases. Though I could understand some people feeling differently :).

As mentions in mine and Chriscr's post, I feel the same, and keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't get all the complaining people are doing about the price (I'm not singling you out, just happened to quote your post :)).

FIRST: Its an American made Fender. That's not a lot of money for an American made Fender. Pretty sure its the lowest priced, but I haven't been MIA Fender shopping much lately.

SECOND: THIS BASS ONLY COSTS $938 if people are willing to sacrifice their candy packings and phone calls. 15% off at Musiciansfriend, along with 8% money back from their backstage pass program. For an American Fender, to me, that's a pretty awesome price.

But ya'll gotta do what yas gotta do...

Lex P., dmt and HD007 like this.
  16. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    What color are you getting? I look forward to hearing how it plays for you.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm getting the white one. My P/J is surf pearl (pretty much seafoam), plus I'm a black and white guy. I'm thinking about swapping the pg out for a black one too. Once I find out if the PG is the same for the older Mustangs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    HD007 likes this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Does anybody know what tuners are a match for these? I need to put a D-tuner on it. I just wrote Hipshot, but they can take a while to get back sometimes. I want to get the Hipshot ASAP.

HD007 likes this.
  19. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    This, yes. I’m so glad Fender is making an American Mustang (also the new Mustang guitar is sweet).

Too bad I’m already stocked up w 2 PJ Mustangs. These look nice.

20. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I'm happy with my P/J Mustangs.
    I'll admit though that I've been toying with the idea of putting a Mustang pickup
    where the P currently resides in one of them.
    I'd rather have it in the J position, but don't want to rout the body.

HD007 likes this.