New American Standard Jazz Bass 450 dollars reduced - worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Hartnett, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Sean Hartnett

Sean Hartnett

Jul 18, 2020
    Austria
    Hi, I'm new here; Lately, I've been thinking of buying my first bass guitar; either a P-Bass or a Jazz Bass, although I'm heavily leaning towards a P-Bass (cause that's what you find on many of those 60s Beach Boys Records for instance). Currently, my music store has a new American Standard Jazz Bass 400€ (~450 dollars) off since it got replaced by the American Professional, so instead of costing 1300€, it's just 1700€. It felt nice and I also dig its color quite a lot.

So my question is the following: how much of a good deal is this? Does a price this cheap warrant me choosing it over say an American Professional P-Bass (the bass I'd probably choose money aside) which goes for around 1700€?

EatS1stBassist and nixdad like this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I never got the P Bass Worship on TB, the Jazz is more versatile IMO, better design ergonomically, etc. Play both, get the one that feels better in your hands. Every single part on a P or Jazz is almost endlessly customizable, so don't make the choice purely on whatever pups come stock.

3. I think in this case you should definitely go and try it out. Especially A/B it against the American Performer series, which goes for around 300 euros less, and see which one you like.

Thegrandwazoo and Sean Hartnett like this.
  4. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    You’ll eventually want a jazz AND a precision anyway, so go ahead and get the jazz now if it’s cheap.

You may find you like the jazz neck better as well, in which case you can later build a precision with a jazz neck.

Finally, some people find they can cop a “close enough” P bass tone out of the neck pickup of a jazz bass. I, however, am not one of those people. YMMV.

5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The American Standards got replaced by Professionals in 2017, I believe. This means that the Standard has been sitting in the store unsold since at least the end of 2016. This doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad, it would still be a great bass. But I would want to make sure it’s a good instrument, and hasn’t been passed over because of some flaws. Also, I might ask for a bigger discount. I think they raised the price for the Professionals anyways, but for an instrument that is at least 4 years old, you should be able to get a steeper discount I would think.

6. Sean Hartnett

Sean Hartnett

Jul 18, 2020
    Austria
    Thanks for the advice! I've already tested both, though I haven't made any direct, proper comparisons yet; I'll certainly do that soon.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. Sean Hartnett

Sean Hartnett

Jul 18, 2020
    Austria
    Wow, interesting thought. When I tried it, considering that I'm not a bass player (I play guitar), the neck felt nice, it seemed like a nice, new instrument! But I'll give your idea about asking for a discount some thought... thanks for responding!

EatS1stBassist and TN WOODMAN like this.
  8. Sean Hartnett

Sean Hartnett

Jul 18, 2020
    Austria
    Yeah, I hadn't actually thought of it in that way before, that could be a good way of doing it. Thank you for responding!

9. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    I guess you have the prices reversed there, i.e. the Jazz is now available for 1300... That sounds quite nice to me but I agree with the above that you must first make sure it is in good shape. Performer series is around 1200-1300 and the American Standard should be better.

I disagree with the "better design ergonomically" Gilmourisgod pointed out - it may feel better for you or it may not. I prefer Precision style necks myself and the Jazz body can be large and heavy for some. But many people do like the narrow Jazz neck and you did say you liked how it felt so maybe it is a good choice for you.

But if you can spend the 1700ish just as easily do choose whichever feels, looks and sounds best to you. The 400 EUR is not worth it if you do not enjoy the instrument and are left wondering if you should have chosen what your first instinct said, the American Pro Precision.

Good luck and welcome to TalkBass :)

10. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    And of course, if you are seriously considering Texican's idea (* of why not both sure, go ahead and grab the J first now that it is on a nice discount and look for a P later when they might be on discount, too. I hear the American Pro was discontinued and something new will be coming out soon.

EDIT: *) you know, he is probably right anyway :)

11. Sean Hartnett

Sean Hartnett

Jul 18, 2020
    Austria
    Thank you! I don't quite get why basses are so much more expensive in the US than compared to the ones in Europe, the American Professional P-Bass for instance costs 1500$ over there whereas here they go around for 1700€. Quite odd.

I very much agree with your point that one should pick out the instrument one simply enjoys the most. As someone who doesn't play bass, I find myself liking the Precisions a lot, lookswise and soundwise, but I still need to properly compare the two. I just found the price of the Jazz to be quite attractive.

EatS1stBassist and TN WOODMAN like this.
  12. Sean Hartnett

Sean Hartnett

Jul 18, 2020
    Austria
    Much appreciated! Yeah, I'll definitely give the Performers a try as well, though I'm just happy to spend whatever it takes to get a real nice bass for life.

EatS1stBassist, Oddly and TN WOODMAN like this.
  13. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    Regarding the price difference, don't forget to add VAT (24% here in Finland, not sure what it is in Austria).

Sean Hartnett and TN WOODMAN like this.
  14. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    The jazz will be an easier fit to a guitar player.
    IMO the american pro. series is no better than the american standard.
    For a first bass I would get something cheap used to make sure I like the instrument in general.
    A cheap P bass maybe a good idea.

RabidMusic likes this.
  15. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I had to go back and reread your post I initially thought you were saying that they were selling it for $450 and the hit or miss responses were throwing me off, I was saying GO GET IT! Obviously that’s not the case, I agree with what others have said, if it’s a nice NOS bass, thats pretty fair, whether or not you bond with it is entirely up to you!

Sean Hartnett, TN WOODMAN and Texican like this.
  16. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I have to wonder if the bass is still sitting because it is just not a great example of its model. Maybe many more experienced players have passed it over because it just is missing that magic one expects from a relatively expensive bass. There are duds at every price point.

I recall my 1st new Fender Jazz Bass I ever owned. It was at my local GC on blowout for $450 (Am Standard). It was AMAZING and I bought it immediately. They had a sister bass to it in maple neck and that bass was a complete turd. Same price but I passed on it.

FishDub, Sean Hartnett and TN WOODMAN like this.
  17. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The American Standards are the peak of recent Fenders, IMO. I have two. I highly recommend you get this one at a great price.

18. Shorty3

Shorty3

Dec 25, 2015
    Italy
    I was looking for a new Am Pro P and after asking around shops where I live I was informed at one of them, who is one of the most reliable and serious, that the Am Pro series is discontinued.
    The guy said he doesn't know if Fender will change the name of Am Pro or not, but the Am Pro as it is now will be changed.
    The new ones will be available in september and he honestly said that a price increase is expected.
    Here in Europe the biggest online seller is Thomann and they have no Am Pro basses available anymore, so for sure current Am Pro series is discontinued.

Sean Hartnett, TN WOODMAN and a-37 like this.
  19. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    Thanks for confirming the rumor!

TN WOODMAN and Shorty3 like this.
  20. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    The principles are basically the same: how's the neck feel (you already mentioned "nice"), any dents or dings, are the electronics in working order, is it comfortable once you've got your hands on it, stuff like that.

I've played a lot of Fender basses across all of their product line, and I also want to second the idea that the American Standards really feel like a sweet spot in terms of their playability and quality in recent years. Bonus points for being able to test it out live first.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022