Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New amp acting buggy - help please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hammer2748, May 27, 2005.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hi all. I have question: Brand new 1200w amplifier (actually I've been using it for about 3 weeks) was being run at about 50% for about 2 hours last night in a room competing a couple Marshalls trying to put the house into orbit ....3 times it just stopped producing anything at all for approx 10 seconds. No clipping, no static, no buzz, everything else appeared normal. After that 10 seconds or so, if I just stopped playing anything but let the strings sustain, it would all of a sudden come back, clear as a bell just as strong as before. I couldn't seem to duplicate the problem playing solo. It still sounded fine, bright and tight, no distortion all the way down to the low B, even pushing it. It might be worh mentioning that one of the guitarists, before hooking up into one of his Marshalls was using a Line 6 amp with his 4x12's and it did something funky along those same lines. He wasn't able to get his back on though as it seemed the foot switch/precessor wacked out and wouldn't talk to the amplifier......should I be worried or does this sound like a problem with the house current????

I normally don't play in this kind of setting, but with the new rig, felt it might be an opportunity to see just how strong the rig would be if needed. By the way, this has not happened in any gigging or rehearsal situation with my full-time band.

Cheers,
    Hammer

2. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    To test what might be wrong, you need to isolate the problem. Setup and play your rig by itself. Test it by playing as many ways as you can until something fails. If you suspect a problem with line voltage, change locations.
    If you can duplicate the failure, try changing components one at a time.
    The problem could be anywhere from a loose output jack on your bass to a failing internal part in the amp itself. Trial and error is the only testing I can think of until you narrow down the issues.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My band has played through a PA with a similar problem. We suspected a dirty power supply.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If the line voltage dropped far enough, it could trigger a mute and shut-down of many types of amp.

Then the turn-on sequence has to start again, which often takes a few seconds.

The fact that whatever it was scrambled communications of a Line 6 (DSP - based) amp suggests the same thing.

Usually the drop-out voltage is around 85 to 95 volts, sometimes higher, depending.

When cranked, in a bad bar venue, that is completely understandable. Used to be that when the 'fridges kicked on, the lights would dim in most bars, and the amps would all "hiccup". These days, so many have been remodeled, etc, that the wiring is usually up to code and it doesn't happen so much.

5. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT

6. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Well, for sure it wasn't my friend's house current responsible for the signal interruptions on my new Kustom Groove Bass Amp. I had a show last Friday night and all night long, kept getting signal loss to the speaker cabs. The DI from the back of the amp seemed to keep up just fine. I'm still within the 45 day return policy (barely) and it's going back. Must've gotten a lemon!

Hammer