Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainpabst, Apr 12, 2001.

1. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    ok, i'm in the market for a new bass amp rig. i have a limit of 1350 to spend - i mean 1350 including tax/shipping, everything. there's no way i'm going higher. i realize that this is somewhat limiting.

anyway, i'm looking for a head and a 4x10 cabinet. i've pretty much ruled out carvin. these are the options i've been pondering:

GK 700rb and genzbenz 4x10 xb
    GK 400rb and eden d-4x10xlt or aguilar gs4x10

i like the GK sound, and the prices are reasonable. and i figure if i get a nice 4x10 (how 'bout 4 ohm?), i'll keep it for quite awhile (can get a bigger, more expandable head later). what advice can you guys give me?

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm extremely happy with my Peavey Firebass II and Peavey 410 XLT. I got them out the door for $967.00 total. Awesome power. Great tone. Plenty of features.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you're lookin for expandability wouldn't a 8ohm cab work better-like run 2 8ohm cab down the road so that you can use most any head thing that can handle 4ohms rather than risk it with 2.6 or 2? thats just my thoughts. thats all

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Good point on getting the 8 ohm cab. You may never need to extend your rig if you have the 4 ohm cab, but if you do, you might be grateful. My cab is 4 ohms, but I get all the juice and tone I need without needing to extend the cab. If I do, I've heard a lot of consistent and positive feedback about running the Firebass at 2 ohms.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The Firebass has been designed to run at 2 ohms. You need to run it at 2 ohms to get your full output of 700 watts. If you run it at 4 ohms - 475 watts. I have been using my old Randall RBA500 at 2 ohms for years and it has never let me down. It is as big as a Buick though....

See my post entitled "Question about amps and crossovers" and see if you can help me out.