Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pyrofreek120, Jan 22, 2005.

1. pyrofreek120

Jan 22, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I just bought a Peavey Firebass 700 head and I'm about to buy a Carvin 4x10 Cab which is 400 watts 8 ohms.

the head runs at only 275 watts at 8 ohms.. :meh:

is there a way i can sqeeze more power out of the cab or change the resistance without buyin another cab?

additional info:
    Firebass stats: 700 watts at 2 ohms; 475 watts at 4 ohms; 275 watts at 2 ohms. 2 speaker jacks paralleled

not as sure about the cab tho..

id like to run the amp at 4 ohms if possible but this cab is a deal..
  2. Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    Hi Pyro,

I'd buy a 4 ohm 4*10 if I were you. That will give you enough push to start with and if you ever need a bigger setup, all you need to do is buy another 4 ohm cab (1*15, 2*10 or 4*10).

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You can't get 4 ohms, but assuming that Carvin still uses 8 ohm drivers in their 8 ohm 4x10, you could rewire it to create a 2 ohm cabinet (by connecting all speakers in parallel).

At 2 ohms, the rewired Carvin would only be a tiny little bit louder than the same cabinet wired stock at 8 ohms...perhaps not even worth the trouble and added thermal stress on the amp.

Since the amp doesn't put out 550 or more watts into 4 ohms, a 4 ohm cabinet (of identical efficency) wouldn't be sound any louder would be, but not enough for most people to notice. If you bought a less efficient cabinet than the Carvin, it would actually be less loud...

I'm as bad or worse than the next bassist about wanting to maximize the power output from my amp... I'm beginning to think that I (we) worry about it too much...