1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Amp aka Best Deal Ever?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Apr 27, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    My new (used, but new to me) amp arrived today

[​IMG]

I scored a DB750 from eBay. I'll say this

400+ -> NV215 = :bassist: :bassist:
    DB750 -> NV215 = :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
    Kern -> DB750 -> NV215 = :D :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :D

Now the best part. The store that I got it from on eBay I think is just a pawn shop, they definitely don't specialize in music equipment, and a lot of the stuff they sell is damaged (and is listed as so), so it was definitely a gamble buying from them, but the amp is fully functional, with just a little rack rash, and I got it for $910 + shipping. Maybe not the best deal ever, but come on, that's pretty good.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Cool rig....Did you get it from a place called Barginland?

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I got it from 'junkiesauctions.' I wasn't worried about them, they have like 2000 feedback, with about 96% positive, I was worried cuz they mainly sell damaged equipment, but sometimes they just sell used, which is what the Aguilar was listed as.

4. trustworthy sounding name there :p

Cool deal tho :D

What you really want now is a berg 610 and you have an unbeatable rig :p

5. Yeah...I decided not to take the chance on that one. Awesome to hear it's working. You took a gamble, and it paid off.

The fact that they refuse to respond to emails scared me a bit. Then the fact that every other item they sell is a smashed TV scared me a little more. Then the fact that they listed the amp "as-is, no returns, not tested, no gurantees" sealed the deal for me.

I guess I should be kicking myself right about now, huh? ;)

No worries, i'll just have to pay another $400 for one.

-Nick

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Don't even get me started :smug:

I rationalized it like this. It doesn't look too bad, and their feedback is good. So if it works, I get a great deal. If it doesn't, I live just north of NYC, and I work in the city, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to bring it to Aguilar, and have them repair it, which i estimated wouldn't be too much, which total, would probably put me around the regular price of a used DB750, so I went for it.

7. Yeah I was trying to rationalize it like that as well...I live in CT, and Aguilar isn't all that much of a drive at all. Guess I should've gotten into a bidding war with you, huh? ;)

So how does it sound?!? I'm actually listing one of my amps right now to finance one of these. Tell me i'm not making a mistake.

-Nick

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    My problem with my 400+ was this. At low volumes, slightly louder than bedroom practice volumes, I got this awesome tone out of it, I loved it. But once I brought it up to gigging volumes, I didn't like the tone. The low end was all over the place, out of control. But when I EQd it to get the low end under control, I didn't like the tone. I think thats just the nature of tube amps and 15s. The Aguilar gets the same low volume tone, but when I turn up the volume, it's the same tone, just louder. The low end is perfect for me, very tight and defined, I'm very very happy with it. If I had just an NV610, it might be a different story, I would think the 400+ would slay with the 610, but for my sound, the DB750 and the NV215 are exactly what I was looking for. I play hard rock, ala Tool, Soundgarden, Finger Eleven, to give you an idea of the tones I like.

9. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    That stack, is a thing of BEAUTY!

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yes the 400+ does infact slay, anywhere any day with the NV610.

11. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Car RamRod, Car RamRod