New amp and cab models

Discussion in 'Line 6' started by OldogNewTrick, Aug 20, 2009.

1. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Hi Rich and Aaron

Wow, a L6 forum on Talkbass - who would have ever thought that possible :eek: :p :cool:

But since Line6 does seem to take a renewed interest in us bassist, let me repeat one of the most common complaints on the L6 forum also here:
    Are there any plans in providing users with new amp and cab models? Or improve on some existing ones?

L6 has spent so much more effort and R&D resources on guitarists' gear upgrades - makes us bass players a bit envious :smug:

2. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Let me add to that:

Would it be possible to make the model packs downward compatible, so that Bass Pod xt / live / Pro useres could take advantage of them and not just X3 users?

I bought my Bod xt in '05, no upgrades since and obsolete today... :rollno:

3. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Can speak specifically to future products but I hope our presence here would be somewhat of an answer for now.

4. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    LOL, very diplomatic .... elegantly side stepping all points raised....

ok, I won't hold my breath :rolleyes:

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    No, I think that he's saying that corporate policy and SEC rules limit what can be said about future products, not that Line 6 doesn't care about bassists. They're here to listen to bassists, not ignore us.

6. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Exactly. We have to be real careful.

7. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Quite so, I do appreciate that.
    But let me ask you as Line 6 product manager:
    Is it possible (=technically viable) to have future POD X3 model upgrades downward compatible to load as XT models ?

Since you specialize in the Lowdown range, maybe you could kick that question to one of your colleagues ;)

I personally would be prepared to pay for such a model pack, that is, if it would provide a meaningful improvement on the existing XT models :smug:

8. I too would be VERY open to purchasing software that would enhance my Bass Pod XT Pro.

Wish list: New amp models and increased pre-set locations.

THX, Marc

9. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Any news? ....still holding my breath :meh:

10. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU

Rich, could you please subscribe to this thread so that you won't miss the question I posted on 08-24....
    pleeeeze ;)

11. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Oh sure, I could check this out. But what models on the X3 aren't on your XT? Have you bought all the model packs?

12. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Quite the opposite, there's currently more on the Bass Pod xt than bass-related stuff on the X3, not my point though.

Maybe I didn't put my question clear enough.

Since hopefully Line6 might offer new models of amps and cabs currently not available or provide revised and improved versions of currently available models for the X3 platform, I wanted to know if it is technically feasible to make the models downward compatible to the XT platform.

This might then be offered to XT owners as upgrade for sale. The continuity of platform growth through downward compatibility would not only mollify quite a few XT owners, but also assure prospective X3 owners that their investment will not become obsolete when the next product cycle comes around....

13. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    I think that has more to do with hardware than software. If we come with next generation modeling and it needs a bigger faster processor to run it, it won't be downward compatible. Does that make sense?

14. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Rich, thanks for taking the time and sorry to bother you with this since you are not the Line6 product manager for the POD range.

So the models are then compatible, yes?

So the X3 is a faster machine than the XT platform (faster CPU, higher clock rate, but NOT higher resolution, as both are 24bit architecture).
    Currently you run basically only XT models on the X3 platform with processing capacity to spare.

I thought with a straight forward technical question like "compatibility" it was either a "Yes" or a "No, because of technical reason #1-n", no hypothesizing necessary.

15. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    OK, I am still a bit confused. Tell you what. Ask me your questions again as clear as possible and I will get with the POD guys and ask them to help me answer you.

16. Hello Rich and OldogNewTrick...I'm following this thread with guarded optimism.. One question: Is there " model packs" that can be purchased for the Bass XT Pro? I didn't think so.. I have all the updates...

THX,

Marc

17. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    :eek: :meh:

:hyper:

I am somewhat at a loss to put it any clearer than that. Tell you what, you could just forward the above to the L6 Pod Product Manager(s) and see if they can make heads or tails of my question.

Lastly, just to avoid possible confusion:
    All above is bass related. That is, I am talking about models of bass amps and bass cabs on the X3 and when talking about XT, I am referring to the Bass Pod xt (Bean/PRO/Live).

18. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Rich, I realize from all your recent post that you've been real busy, but could you perhaps follow up on my compatibility question with your Pod product manager colleagues....

I trust you did forward the question, right ?

19. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    I did forward and I am double checking. I think I clearly understand your question now.

Are saying in the future if we make some awesome models for new PODs will they be sell-able to the XT line as model packs?

20. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    In a nut-shell - Yes :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021