Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New AMP ANY Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JYD, Jan 27, 2003.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    Ok anyone have the time to give feedback it will be appreciated.
    I going to purchase a new amp for my Upright Bass.
    I bought a Carved bass last year (not happy still looking for different instrument) but it will do until I find something I fall in love with.

For years I have used Peavy, and Roland cube amps. I have also used GK Combo amps.

I like the sound of the GK combo amps but only with electric bass. I have never used one of the GK heads.
    I played a gig last week with a guitarist who feels I can't go wrong with a Clarus Acoustic image amp. Guitarist had one for his guitar (sounded really clean/nice) was small but requires separate cabinet.

I personally am looking for a Walter Woods but will have to wait until I come across one.

Someone (anyone) have really good advice for speaker and amps combinations.

I will almost definatley purchase an Acoustic Image Clarus or a Walter Woods.

Who can suggest good cabinets for each of the amps, or something all together better.

I'm currently using a fishman pickup but might get rid of that too. I play Upright Bass (almost exclusively) but would like something that can do duty with electric bass as well.

I like the Barberra pickup sound but I can't put out that much for entirley new setup (PU, AMP, bridge, cabinet).

All this stuff is expensive but I'm told the "best" depending upon the situation.

2. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2001
    USA
    Thanks
    Although I'm not really new to Talk Bass.
    I just have not had the opportunity to try most of this equipment. I have heard a lot of it in use (all sounds good). With the cost of most of this stuff I want some suggestions and feedback from some who have used before I lay out all that cash.
    Besides I can't really find a lot of places that will have all this equipment so that I can try all the differnt combinations before I buy.
    I can go someplace that has a Acoustic image and decent cabinet, most places will have the GK equipment with any range of cabinets to try.

Finding a a Walter Woods to try just has not happened yet.
    Plus you never really know what it will sound like live in a real performance situation.
    I could be presently suprised.

I could also wind up broke and pissed off at my selections trying to sell at a loss to buy something different.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY