1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New amp/cab day. Gig reviews Genzler BA12-3 MG-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by albass111, Mar 7, 2016.

1. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is the 4th Genzler designed amp that I've owned. Other amps I am a fan of are Aguilar db750, db359, Boogie 400+, SA200, and when the shuttle was released, I found it to be he first passable class D amp, because of the ability to dial in a rich tone.

So far, I have almost a dozen gigs under my belt with the amp and cab. For larger gigs, I've been using a epifani ul112 in conjunction with the BA12-3. Some small club gigs and some gigs with pa reinforcement.

In my opinion, the Magellan is the 5.0 version Genzler amp as it takes the best elements of the STL, and SL but has its own unique voice. The eq has a great tone out of the box with everything flat and it is really usable. The voicings are great. I tend to boost a little of the low mids and highs. The contour knob is also very handy. While I miss the quickness of hitting buttons on the STL, the contour knob is much more diverse. Being able to subtlely dial in the contour is where it's at. I haven't really dug into the drive yet, but so far, it's been on the subtle side, not too fuzzy.

The BA is a very special cab. As I've always used a tweeter, I wasn't sure if I'd miss it, but on this cab the highs are much more natural sounding, with plenty of sizzle when I need it. On the a recent gig, a major touring bass player sat in and I got to hear it out front. Man, this cab is it. I can't wait to get a second one. I noticed that the tone is even up and down the fretboard, and the high notes do not lose body. It's not boomy, and I feel as if it articulates better than other amps. For reference the streamliner and DB750 can get a little boomy. This set up doesn't have that problem.

The feedback I've gotten from band mates are, they can hear the bass much more clearly from across the stage. Your band mates will be happier with this cab. Even with it sitting at my feet, I've had no problem hearing it clearly,

This past weekend, I played a 120 person club, with just the BA12-3 and MG800 with no PA support. This amp handled it great. With gain at 12:00, the volume didn't get over 11:00, even while playing Zeppelin.

I'll report more as I gig with it more, but so far, this is another home run by Jeff and Co.

EC27DD40-5605-44D1-B093-D29378DB7BF0.

57141AF8-5943-4CD4-93D5-04D34EF14F7F.

revroy, kobass, BassOnTheSide and 4 others like this.
  2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Cool, good to know if my Shuttle went south I could replace it with something similar.

3. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Hey Albass111 --- you offer a great real world review of the products. It's great to read your comments.
    You may be doing this at times but I would recommend that when using an additional cabinet like in the pic, that you consider placing the BA12-3 on top of the extra cab.
    My personal preference would be to turn off the tweeter when using another 1x12" and tweeter cab along with the Bass Array.
    Thanks again for sharing your experience!

jlepre and staurosjohn like this.
  4. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I will try it stacked the other way. So far, I can't believe how loud and clear it is with just the one cabinet!

revroy likes this.
  5. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's quite a bit thicker sounding than the shuttle. Don't get me wrong, I loved my shuttle for 100's of gigs, but this amp is clearer and deeper, especially in the higher registers.

5StringPocket likes this.
  6. albass111, I've been using a single BA12-3 since they were released and like you, have found it to be an amazing cab. (my head is a shuttle 9.0) It works as a side player for singer/songwriters. It works in a church band playing a very wide range of styles. It works in an original guitar based pop band in small clubs with no PA support. It works in larger venues with PA support. In every case, my band mates have agreed with yours, they can hear me better.

like you, I find myself gassing for a second but in my situation, I don't really need one at all.

Jeff Genzler likes this.
  7. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Would turning off the tweeter also apply if matching a Magellan 1-12 with the 12-3?

8. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Hey Joebone --- Yes, I would start by turning off the tweeter in the MG-112T to see how that overall tone sounds to you. You won't hurt anything if you do add in a little tweeter but I think it probably will have the best overall response and dispersion characteristics of you just use the additional MG cab as more LF reinforcement for the BA12-3 cab.
    I hope this helps.

9. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Very useful; thanks. Based on an experience last weekend with the Genz Benz Contour 115 on a tight stage, coupled with a flash of recollection for bassists whom sounded good when I gigged with them on trombone decades ago, I've had an epiphany re the virtues of front-facing ports that are generously sized. Your new cabinets definitely have my attention!