1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Amp Cabinet Day: Ampeg B-25B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Aug 17, 2017.

1. So I went and did it again. I bought a piece of bass gear that I don't need and don't have the room for. But I really had no choice, since it met my three criteria for Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS), and it had two bonus criteria, which are:
    #1 Its Cool
    #2 Its Cheap
    #3 Its Local
    and the bonuses:
    #4 Its Ampeg (and American-made Ampeg to boot)
    #5 I already have a B-25B head

I followed this Ampeg B-25B, 2x15" cabinet on the local Craigslist for about a month, and after it didn't sell, made as low an offer as I could and not be insulting. The seller turned out to be a real nice guy and a fellow bassist.

It appears to be in all-original condition, including the original speakers and even the cart that bolts on to the bottom. The serial number on the paper label on the input jack is “139620”; I don't know if you can date the amp based on this information, but I'm not about to unscrew the back to see the numbers on the speakers.

I won't be gigging with it, but it will go in my rock band's practice space and will be used weekly for two or three hours.

My 1970s Fender/Frankenstein fretless Precision Bass has always sounded its best through the B-25B head, and it sounded even better through the matched stack. Ampeg_B25_Front. Ampeg_B25B_Input.

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Super cool...congratulations!

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    That's a great gas fix.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That cab has clearly been lovingly cared for, a real find!

5. One funny thing about the B-25B head and B-25B cabinet ... the head's rubber feet don't line up with the holes in the cabinet, so the two parts don't "index"; the head's feet are at the corners while the cabinet has six holes spread left/ center/ right. Maybe the head is much older than the cabinet? (I may have put the date on the head as 1969).

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There were revisions you never know if they changed the position of the foot cups.

I moved the rubber feet on my V4B to move them inward a bit so that it sits better on one cab that I have. It's not uncommon to do things like this.

7. Good suggestion - I'll relocate the feet on the head before I move the amp into our practice space.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pretty smokin' find! Congratulations on reconnecting the circle of life!

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Good find indeed, especially in the condition. The style of logo puts the cab in the 75-80 range I believe. The earlier years didn't have the inset jack plates/labels, and I'm fairly certain the change in style (both the aesthetic and cutout/inset mounting) coincided with the change in front panel graphics. You'd have to date by speaker codes.

I have a B25 amp now but never had the head and cab at the same time. I had a repro cart from fliptops on mine and whenever I'd use the B25B cab with my SVT I always worried about it tipping over. That amp was a little to heavy and wide for that cab I think.

10. I have lots of equipment that meets that description, ask my wife:roflmao:. That head looks a lot older than the cab, you can tell by the grille cloth.

11. This was a super-easy fix. I got out a folding work table, a drill and assorted bits, a metric ruler and a work light. I turned the amp head over on the work bench .... and the holes showing the original feet position were right there - 19 3/4 inches apart and 7 1/4 inches behind the front feet. A previous owner had moved the two back rubber feet inward two inches; I suspect because they were using a narrow Fender Bassman 2x15 cabinet and the amp head's feet were too wide. So 30 seconds with a Phillips screw driver and the problem was solved by moving the feet to their original location. The head slid right into the cups on the top of the speaker. Thanks beans-on-toast!

Tbone76 and beans-on-toast like this.
  12. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    I had one in the 80s. The back panel was similar except the input the jack was an xlr. It weighed almost as much as I did. It sounded great though.
    Good luck with yours.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    B25B was my first Real Rig in HS. Unfortunately it was destroyed in a suspicious house fire.

14. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I did my own "reuniting" when I found a B25B cab that was aged to a similar degree as my V4B. The B25B doesn't have a ton of low end, but it's response is actually quite close to a B-15 portaflex, and not surprisingly records really well.

IMG_2209_zpsjmlukd2u. [/URL]

GreaserMatt and JimmyM like this.