1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New amp: Carvin bx700 review

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dr. Love, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I thought these would be worth a shot for upright because of the selectable hi and low mid frequencies and a separate switchable graphic eq: one setting for pizz and one for arco. Well, Carvin had them on sale last weekend, so: tah dah! It came in yesterday and picked up a few last minute gigs this weekend too, so I'll get to try it in several settings.

First gig last night: really loud bar gig with a 5 minute soundcheck and minimal PA support on a cramped stage. It had no problem with power running into a Markbass 2x10. I set low and high flat, with a little boost on low mid to give some muscle against the drums and small high mid cut to smooth out the pop on the attack of notes and didn't have to make any significant adjustment throughout the night. Audience comments were that it sounded clear and articulate. I didn't have any time to try the graphic for arco.

Tonight: outdoor show, with a real soundcheck. Maybe I'll get more time to time to fiddle with options.

BadExample likes this.
  2. Cool, let us know how it goes! IMO you have yourself a very good, clean power amp with a very good and flexible preamp/eq. It will be interesting to hear how she works for you outdoors. Using the 2 x 10 tonight? By your eq settigns, it seems you already know better than to try and make a 2 x 10 be a "fridge" by diming the bass knob and the leftmost graphic sliders, so I expect if you use the 2 x 10 tonight, you'll come home with a 2 x 10, rather than a 1 x 10 with a 10" passive radiator :D I expect you will be happy with the results. Did you get a foot pedal with it?

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    How's the scene in Lubbock these days?

4. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I didn't...I probably should have ordered it too.

I'm not "in the scene" a whole lot since I work two jobs and have a family, so I pretty much only go out when I'm in the band. But, there's always something going on in town, and a surprising amount of diverse talent here.

Basshappi likes this.
  5. Foot pedal is handy, but not having one is certainly not a show stopper. I set mine to mute and graphic eq bypass. It's very well constructed, extruded aluminum case and a pretty long tail. I think you could use a generic foot switch though. The manual describes how to set it up. If you run across one, I suggest you grab it, but it's not a big deal. On the BX1600 you can set it to do different things. I set mine to "mute" and bypass the graphic eq. It's very well constructed and has a nice long tail. You'll never see me on-stage, embarrassing real bassists world wide, but I think it would be handy.

Looking forward to your report on your gig tonight!

6. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Well, I got to use it again tonight but the pa was only vocals for a large outdoor venue, so it was all stage volume to fill the place. The combo of high volume on the hollow stage was too much for the upright and I had to use an electric all night due to feedback. On the plus side, everything worked as it should and my bandmates were happy with the sound.

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I understand. I grew up in Lubbock. I moved away in the early 80's, I still have in-laws there. I haven't been back in over 20 years so I imagine the 'ol town is quite a bit different these days. :D

8. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Third gig report: large club with the full band through a full sound system. I used the amp with a Phil Jones c4 for stage monitoring only. I used the same settings as previous nights and just turned up the master until I could hear intonation more clearly. It worked great.

BadExample likes this.