New Amp Day - Not what you are expecting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassheart365, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I wanted a small "combo" amp for rehearsals and to keep at home. I was considering "traditional" bass combos but decided to go "outside the box" and purchased a QSC K10.2 . Wow! Very impressed with this little monster. 2000 watts of Class D/DSP power gives amazing headroom and clean power. Plenty of bass for rehearsals or even small venues. It is incredibly portable as an amp/cab at 32 lbs and is easily carried in one hand using the top handle. Highly recommend!

QSC K10.2.jpg
    QSC K10.2 -2.jpg
    QSC K10.2 -3.jpg

2. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Cool! I used a powered wedge for a little bit at work, it was only ok. It didn’t have these eq options though. Was that bass preset factory or did you program it?

3. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    What I've always wondered about these: why does a 10" speaker need a 2000 watt amp?

jnewmark likes this.
  4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    It's probably 2000 watts " burst power ".

lomo likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Well technically it's rated for a 'peak' of 1800 watts into the woofer, and peak of 225w to the tweeter which is where they get 2000.

But since it's listed as a 'peak' rating is probably actually more like 500 watts.

Bassbeater likes this.
  6. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Or 50. Anyone who wants to let me blast 500w watts of bass rocking into their 10" speaker, step right up.

Cool solution though. So long as it works for you, the output "watts" won't matter.

lomo likes this.
  7. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    You are using it as a replacement for a bass combo? Did you replace a "standard" bass rig with it, or it's a side experimentation? That's interesting and intriguing...

When you say that it's enough for rehearsals and small venues, is this with FoH support or just standalone?
    What's your signal chain like (plugged right in, DI pedal in front, etc.)?
    You've been using it for several months, what's your experience with it so far? What works, and to which extent? What doesn't work? etc.

Thanks!

8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That's a $700 powered speaker.. More than most bass combos . How does it sound in a gig situation?

callmejs likes this.
  9. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    This is what I use for home... A powered 4" studio monitor with a long throw woofer.
    20150315_154939.jpg

callmejs likes this.
  10. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, talk about compact! :laugh: FRFR above 100Hz perhaps or is the flat response going lower? No sub? It must sound terrific for playalong practices, at low volume.

How are you setting that up? Do you use a HP filter to protect the woofer? What about pre-amp?

11. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Pre-amp is the active circuit in my bass. I turn the volume and bass all the way up on the speaker. Pictured is a Ric but I use a Fender P-bass Elite with it's 18v power supply and it provides enough signal to run the speaker. good for single use or band practice without a drummer. Bought a handle at home depot that made it easy to carry. It's a Presonus speaker, I think its 70 watts.

callmejs likes this.
  12. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Stand alone, direct from my bass. I use it for rehearsals and very small venues. I don't play metal. If you want more versatility, want more bass, go with the 12.2.

callmejs likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022