1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Amp Day: Phil Jones Session 77!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkM13, Dec 10, 2017.

1. MarkM13

MarkM13

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    I've always been curious about PJB amps and cabs but, they have been too costly for my budget. My regular gigging rig is the MB/GB rig pictured below. Light enough, but sometimes I just wanted a combo for rehearsal or small gigs.

The specs I was in search of were:
    • At least 100w - the drummer has good control so big volume isn't needed.
    • Under 30# (this is 26#)
    • < $500
    • Acceptable sound for the low B & E strings
    The last was a tall order for the smaller speakers often found in "practice" amps.

During my search I saw an interview with Phil about the amp. When he stated he didn't want to cut back on sound quality and instead went with a simple no frills amp, I took the plunge. PJB products are often described as having a pristine HD sound; man is that a spot on description. You get the full unadulterated sound of your bass in insane clarity.

The eq settings are very effective but, no matter how you set them, that pristine sound is still there. And, you wouldn't believe the low end coming out of such a small cab. The only negative I've found is the 'B' string will cause the speakers to fart if you dig into it and have the volume up.

Speaking of volume, the full 100w is usable right to max (aforementioned "B' string withstanding). Even at max the amp is dead quiet. If it had about another 50w it would be perfect. But, if you don't need big volume it's a real winner.

If you've been wondering about PJB products but the entry fee is too steep, check this one out. New they are $400 and I got a B-stock unit for $285 from Pro Audio Star in Brooklyn.

Final note: appreciate the lack of size I photographed it next to my MB 102 cab and a jazz style bass.

PJB77-MB102-JB.JPG

scuzzy and LeftyD like this.
  2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    The most impressive amp I have ever played was one of his first edition 6 packs with the aluminum drivers. Shook the store.