New Amp Day - SVT-2pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by goldenglory18, Jul 26, 2013.

1. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    Craigslist deal of the day.

Ampeg SVT-2pro, Korg DTR-1 in a 6 space Road Ready case AND a gently used Ampeg 410HLF all for $1000.

I did what you guys suggested and ran it through it's paces before I handed over the $$. I let the amp warm up and checked all the tubes for glow. I checked the back of the unit for burning smells. The bias lights glowing solid green. Aside from a few cosmetic issues, she was just fine. I paid the gal and walked out with about 160lbs worth of gear.

Note the "was just fine" part of that...?

After I got it back to the studio, and got her all hooked up, the issues started. First was the intermittent DI out. Seems to only work about 50% of the time. No big deal, the tuner out and foot pedal work fine, so it might just need a new jack. So far, so good. At low volume, the sound was ok. The previous owner played shred metal so I obviously needed to reset all the settings and give it a real go.

Next came the big problem. After about 30 seconds of fiddling around at moderate volume, the sound went to ****. Significantly underpowered, WAY overly crunchy and the master volume pot made a gnarly crackle when turned back and forth. I go and check the bias lights and the right power section is red. Oh crap. Stand by on, then power off. Time to let her cool off.

After about an hour I turn her back on and try to trouble-shoot whats going on. Powers up just fine, both bias lights glowing green. After I start playing, the right green starts to fade and the red light comes on. Green flickers for about two minutes while playing and then solid red. Sound gradually goes to crap at this point. I got frustrated and shut it down for the night.

Reading the user manual, the lights are giving out an error code. From what I understand, it looks like my issue could be either a poorly set/bad power tube(s) or a poorly biased power section.

What do you guys think? I need to pull the unit apart anyway to try and fix the loose/unattached handle so while I'm in there, is there anything I can do to check for issues? I can get away with the sketchy DI for now, but I would really like to hear what it sounds like before I invest a bunch of $$ into it.

At least I got a good deal.....:scowl:

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    not sure if the bias light would fault or flash in an instance like this, but you could have corrosion on you effects in/out jacks, or preamp out/amp in jacks
    my svtII did what you are describing a few times over the first year i had it, first time was the jacks, one time was a bad preamp tube, third time was the connector from the preamp board to the main board

^in all instances i could plug my bass right into the amp in jack and i had strong clean output to my speaker cabinet...

try plugging a patch cord into the effects loop hten play it and see if that helps..but again, not sure the bias lights would flash if you were just dropping signal from the jacks.

3. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    but you did get a good deal so retubing it shouldn't hurt too bad

4. Ive been having some issues with my 05 V4BH, also. I bought it used from a store that took it in on trade, and clearly didn't look it over.. I tried it at the store, and all worked well. It worked for a little while at home and at one band practice, but from then I started getting a scratchy input, volume drops/spikes, and eventually no output. I took it to my tech, and he replaced quite a few things (the amp was in rough shape). I'm $260 in, and when the amp works, it sounds wicked (new 6L6's) but when using the -15DB input I get the scratchy bass, low output, and volume spikes again.

DONT take it to a tech and drop the cash before trying what these guys are telling you. I'm going to clean out all of my jacks (even the ones in the back that I don't use) and see how that works for me. I'm really hoping that will solve my problem as I wanna like this amp, its just been a money pit to me so far.

5. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'll try to get some time to play around with it more tonight, but the more I think about it, the more frustrated I am.

Oh well. Gotta pay the price to get the tube tone....

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    ^ seems you have to deal with that with most any used head

i dealt with it with mine, took a few trips to the tech (which weren't too expensive) but it's sorted now and is reliable.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Be careful when you take it apart. Even with the power source detached from the electrical outlet, there are dangerous currents lurking in those capacitors.

8. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Should I just wait to have the tech fix it (the handle?)

The tubes are user serviceable, correct?

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I would have been hesitant at such a low price as it would have made me think there was something wrong with it.

10. FWIW, theres an SVT 2 pro locally that just got serviced for sale for $1000 in nice shape..

If you're willing to spend the money on getting it fixed up you'll have a killer amp, but to expect it to be in full working condition when you got it for that price with everything else would be almost crazy :p. Always when buying a used tube amp take into account the cost of a checkup - just like buying a used vehicle.

11. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yes, but he got a cab and a few other things for $1,000. I already have an SVT-II (non pro).

12. Sorry about that, was quoting you, speaking to the OP.

13. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    OK, it was hard to tell which one of us you were looking at when you wrote that. :D

14. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    She had the amp listed for $900 and the cab at $450. She was willing to deal and told me it was in perfect working condition except for the DI issue. I demo'd it at her house and it was fine. Something must have happened in transit.

I don't think it's that crazy. Gear like this around here isn't that popular and there couldn't be more than a dozen bassists in Tucson that are willing to shell out over $900 for a used amp.

I'm not too concerned about it. There is a great amp tech in town that really knows his stuff. Now I just need to get a hold of his number...

15. I just purchased a 90's SVT 2 Pro about a year ago and have been having problems as well. It's a love/hate relationship because it sounds amazing when it's working properly but it seems for me it's been in the shop more than it's been on the stage. Be patient and willing to put a few bucks into it and it will give you some love. I think mine is finally performing consistently enough so that I don't have to bring my old trusty Hartke with me to every show as well. I would fork out the money for a whole new set of pre and power tubes first thing (since the previous owner played a lot of metal I'd be willing to bet that the tubes may be shot from driving the piss out of it constantly I believe you said), that way you know those are most likely good to go, then go from there.

16. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    get it to mess up, then plug yr bass into the effects in jack to see if the problem is the preamp or the power amp.
    if it's power amp take it to that good tech.
    if it's preamp, (you get good sound after you plug into the effects in) then try swapping a known good preamp tube around in it.

either way, it's probably going to sound better after a good going through and rebias by a tech.

17. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Update:

I played around with the amp for a while on Saturday and couldn't get it dialed in without the bias lights coming on (right power section still has a constant red.) Even with the bias backed down a little bit, it was still lit up like Christmas. The few minutes before it started having issues it sounded sooooo GOOD. Time to bite the bullet and send it to the tech.

I'm really looking forward to hearing it after the local guru get's his paws on it. I'm expecting it back around the 8th...

18. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Update:

Looks like the amp needed a full re-tube in the power section. Tech said three tubes were completely shot and the other three were on the way out. This explains my bias issues and terrible sound when turned up loud.

There were a few non-electrical repairs needed as well. Both handles were replaced, a few knobs, the DI level pot and I apparently some chassis hardware. Apparently the chassis was missing some screws and it was putting pressure on the rear board? The tech thinks that's how the DI got put out of commission. Whatever, no big thang.

Total is going to be between $300 and $400 in repairs including all new power tubes, a preamp tube, all the replacement hardware and labor ($75 in labor.)

He did make mention on the phone that this is one of the better SVT's he's ever heard. Apparently it sounded amazing pushing all 300w through his testbed 8x10...

:drool:

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not a bad price for all that.

20. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Kinda what I thought. I just hope he doesn't load it with chitty power tubes...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021