1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp Day! SVT II Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew C, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matthew C

Matthew C

Nov 13, 2014
    Cooperstown, NY
    New to me - SVT II Pro. I haven't seen one like this before, with the old style graphics and a speakon output. As an owner of a
    SVT II (non pro) I have to say I like the pro version better. I like the drive control and the gain control. With the drive control at noon, the gain at noon, and the master at 11:00, you can get a great mildly overdriven tone at a reasonable volume. It reminds me of the overdrive on my non-pro. My fiancé was NOT pleased when I told her about the fact I was buying "something" (i dared not tell her what I was getting).Great amp all around, just wanted to share with you guys. JimmyM, what year do you think this is, being that it has the old graphics but also has a speakon? Any input would be great. Thanks. IMG_0307. IMG_0307. IMG_0308. IMG_0309.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Congrats! I LOVE my 2PRO, it's the newer version with a different face plate. I love the built-in OD, gets pretty dirty when you push the preamp but still reacts well to Fuzz, OD and Distortion pedals as long as you back down the gain on the pedals.

I'll be interested to hear your further thoughts on the II vs 2PRO.

Sartori likes this.
  3. Matthew C

Matthew C

Nov 13, 2014
    Cooperstown, NY
    I find that with the drive control it really mimics the power tube distortion of the non-pro. Also, I find the drive control makes the ultra low usable, in that it brings in more mids to the sound that the ultra low scoops out. I also use the bright switch. On the non-pro, the ultra low is a tone sucker.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's the 5th digit in the serial number? It corresponds to a year:

1988: A
    1989: B

Etc. etc. Cool score...definitely a semi-early one, but if it has speakons, it's probably one of the later blue-lettering 2 Pros.

5. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    The two Pro is also my favorite. While all SVT's are awesome, the 2 Pro is versatile enough to work great with all of my basses and styles of music (without pedals) - from vintage to short scale to upright to Baby Bass - whatever.

Those cosmetics were used in the mid to late '90's.

6. Matthew C

Matthew C

Nov 13, 2014
    Cooperstown, NY
    Tanks, Jimmy and bass45. Jimmy, I've long read your posts and appreciate all the information you post. It's steered me right several times:bassist: PS - not quite in so much trouble with the fiancé anymore. I don't think she noticed the new amp!

Bass 45 likes this.
  7. I don't understand you folks whose partners get mad at you for getting music gear. They should have known what they were getting into when they started dating musicians.

angrychair likes this.
  8. I just got one too, all be it a little more beat up because Fedex dropped mine. Dave Ryan formerly of SLM/Ampeg just serviced mine this morning, and I'm about to go pick it up.

Sartori likes this.
  9. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Congratulations!

10. got it back today, Dave did a lot of work to it for me. Mostly maintenance stuff, happy with the work. He cleaned all the jacks, tightened everything up, one of the transformers were coming loose, touched up some solder joints, replaced a lot of missing screws for me, and matched and biased a set of tubes. Mine's 5th letter is K, so 1998. It would be in as good of condition as OP's if not for the fedex drop damage to one corner and handle :(

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Sartori likes this.