1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp Day - Traynor SB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Mar 7, 2016.

1. I bought one of these at Long and McQuade last week as I was really impressed by the sound, the power, and the portability. It's a 200 watt combo amp with a 12 inch speaker + tweeter and weighs only 25 pounds. I had no trouble at a jam session with a drummer, 2 guitars, and vocals. I would definitely take it on gigs (although PA support would probably be needed in a larger venue). The tweeter can be turned on/off. It has a cool feature called "low expander" which reduces the mids and extends the lows and sounds really good.

I looked a the Carvin MB combos but our lousy exchange rate plus shipping costs nixed that idea. I also considered the Traynor SB110, which is even lighter than mine, but it has less power so I decided it wouldn't have the required volume.

Traynor is Canadian so many of you have likely never seen it. If you should come across it definitely check it out. It's good quality and ruggedly built. I have other Traynor/Yorkville gear: my 2 x 10 cab sounds great and I also have the Yorkville SR 300 reference amplifier + studio monitors.

cbnutt and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Traynor? What's that???:D Just Kidding you Man! Congrats on a great new amp. Oh yeah, No Pics = No new amp.
    DSC01571.

3. I don't have a photo but it looks just like this: Traynor Amps

Where did you get your Traynor? It looks potentially DESTRUCTIVE!

4. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I actually Got it shipped directly from Traynor(USA facility I believe). It is absolutely wonderful. It is definitely cleaner than other Tube heads I have owned. I had a Marshall VBA-400 which I loved but the Traynor is way better IMO and 1/2 the price.
    That SB112 looks like a great amp. You can always add a 2nd one if you need more volume.

5. I have other (heavier) amps with more power if I need extra volume. If I can get away with the Traynor, I'll use it.

FunkHead likes this.
  6. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    I am a Traynor fan but I'm not too big on cubey cabinets. They're unnecessarily hard to carry by the handle. Whoever came up with the idea of cube-shaped amps needs a spanking.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are you sure about that? Traynor is the house brand of Long and McQuade (Canadian G.C. equivalent). I would be pretty shocked if they had some kind of US manufacturing department.

Comically enough, I imagine that if most Americans knew where it stood in Canada they would have the same reservations they do with Acoustic gear at GC. Which I found to be perfectly acceptable when I tried it out down South, I don't have the same "house brand" reservations over that as I do over Traynor.

I bought a similar combo to yours for one of my students OP, decent little thing with a good output. It was dirt cheap of Kijiji too.

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Not so much the house brand as Traynor, Yorkville, and L&M are all owned by the same company.

9. I plugged the line out of the Traynor into my friend's Jam Hub today and it sounded fantastic. My friend commented on how good it sounded. I've been using a Line 6 at our jams but now I'll be bringing the Traynor! :hyper:

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Isn't that what house brand means? It is owned "in house." I could very well be wrong here though...

11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    "It's a 200 watt combo amp with a 12 inch speaker + tweeter and weighs only 25 pounds."

That is so amazing what they have done with the weight factor for us and our poor backs.

Happytime for you ! :D :D :D

12. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    It was definitely made in Canada but I could swear it was shipped from within the USA. I bought the first one from a US dealer but it had issues and I think it was used. So I sent it back to them, They then (After much B/S and numerous correspondence) had Traynor send me a brand new one.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  13. Agreed, it's fantastic what they can pack into a small enclosure. And if money is no object there's the Markbass Mini CMD 121P that has even more power and only weighs 1 pound more!