1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp Day

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caledoneus83, Sep 17, 2018.

1. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    So, picked up a new amp Friday, and have had this weekend to play around with it some. It is a (pre-Peavey buyout) Trace Elliot GP7 SM 300 watt with a 15" speaker, and then an 4x10 extension cab. Loving this thing so far. Got some nice thump to it!

Attached a couple of pictures, and a link to my playthrough/ review

41713001_10100231531781356_4752889540799102976_n.jpg 41796674_10100231531681556_3820604302938865664_n.jpg

Badwater, BadExample and Rooster009 like this.
  2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I remember that 15" combo. I played through one many times as it was "provided" for the band. I always thought it was pretty decent.

3. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    I'm definitely liking it. That 7 band Eq it has built in really lets you shape the sound how you want it. I'm looking forward to hooking up that 8x10 to go along with the 15 to give it some extra "punch." Didn't have an extra speaker cable laying around...

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi caledoneus83 :)

When you use the extension…

trace volume.jpg

...don' t forget to turn down the volume! :laugh:

Trace Ellliot Watts can hurt! ;)

Happy NAD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Wise(b)ass

Microbass likes this.
  5. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    communication received and understood... lol

Wisebass likes this.
  6. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    Congratulations, that is an amazing amp!

My main amp is the same model, just only 130W and no extension cabinet.
    Honestly the best tone I ever had, even like it better than the one I got from the Ampeg B-15S tube amp I once owned (totally different animals though, so not really a fair comparison).
    And the 130W has been plenty so far, easily heard in a loud hard rocking power trio, even with the master volume below the 12 o'clock mark, so your's 300W with extension cab should be more than plenty.
    The thing is that these old Trace Elliot amps were conservatively rated, so they will play much louder compared to other amps at the same rated wattage.

Pondering on scrapping computer hardware updates and buying a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX, 300 W, 2x10", that I have seen up for sale, instead.

Also for your information the pre shape button scoops the mids out of the tone in two degrees, whoever would want that, I know I don't.
    The tone of the amp without the pre shape button engaged however doesn't lack mids and as said sounds no short of amazing.

You also got the function of the EQ Balance knob slightly wrong, it balance the overall tone of the amp to either emphasis the low end frequency spectrum or the high end frequency spectrum, accordingly cutting down the opposite spectrum, to various degrees depending on how far to the left or right you turn it, the middle would then be what could be considered the amps flat response.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    caledoneus83 likes this.
  7. I always have the preshape engaged, with a bump on the 180 and 1-2k’s and the rest flat. It sounds amazing and I’ve been able to cut through - could be the raw power that compensated for the scoop to be fair but it sounds amazing! Welcome to he darkside!

Is the 15” driver damaged? Lols like the cone button is missing?

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Cool rig. One of the best tones I ever had the pleasure of listening to.

How about the 8x10 and 4x10? That' might sound good too!

caledoneus83 likes this.
  9. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    Ok, well, that is good to know. Thanks for the help! :)

10. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    I don't think so... I took of the grating (or whatever you call it) and checked everything out and it looks fine. I think it might be a replacement speaker though... Either way, it sounds great...

11. caledoneus83

caledoneus83

Feb 26, 2018
    SC
    :) yeah, an 8x10 would sound awesome for sure.... It would suck to carry it around though! I need roadies!

12. Nice, those older TE combos are beasts!

Stumbo and caledoneus83 like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020