1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Amp Day!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Mar 13, 2013.

1. So today I decided to treat myself with a trip to Guitar Center to check out some amps that I've been looking at. The selection wasn't what I was hoping for, but they did have some MarkBass combos and a PF-500, which were my two main interests.

I had to grab 3 different basses to find one with decent strings, but I sat down and plugged into a Markbass. At this point, I didn't pay attention to the model because it was the 3rd one I tried and the only one plugged in. I just wanted to hear how it sounded. Long story short, I was unimpressed. Maybe it was the bass, maybe it was the fact that I didn't have it cranked in the store (I hate that), but I couldn't find a tone I was in love with for my playing style. I also don't want a combo amp.

So I moved on to the Portaflex. Noodled around a bit on its intended cab, and then had a salesman help me hook it up through an 810, since that's what I'll be using it through. Played around for a bit and I liked it, but I didn't love it.

I decided I wanted to hear it with my band at practice, so I ended up putting it on my GC card. They're doing a promotion for 12 months no interest and after tax, it came to 423. Not too bad. If it doesn't do better than my 200 watt Acoustic, I'm gonna take it back and return it. Once I got it home I really dug into playing through it and got some nice tone and volume from it. Very reminiscent of my SVT. Sorry for the long winded post, but here's a pic.

FD7F8E40-E6F9-4BE2-B06E-115832351660-8993-000006F336328B9B.

I'll report back to this thread tomorrow to give my impression of it at band practice.

2. So I tried this out at band practice last night and I think I'll keep it around. Real beefy low mid punch when you dial it in right and it sits perfectly with a guitarist using a Triple Rec and a loud drummer. We have a gig tomorrow night and I'm using it at a different band practice Sunday. Hopefully I'm equally as impressed!