New Amp Decisions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beardsley, Apr 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
    I've been saving up my bottle caps and i think its about time for a new amp head.
    I want this amp to be my last big amp purchase. I have about $1000 to spend on 600-700 watts (or 200-300 watts of all tube power).

My current sights have found:
    1. Mesa - WD800, 400+, Carbine series, Walkabout (there are a few of each for sale online)
    2. Aguilar (i'm not too familiar with these, i guess either TH700 or AG700)
    3. Fender Bassman Pro 300
    I like my tone to be old school, thick THUMPING, and a decent amount of articulation. I did manage to test out the WD800 and enjoyed getting that hint of smooth tube overdrive from the preamp tube. Unfortunately i live pretty far from any legit music shops or authorized dealers, so testing most of these in person is out of the question.

I would really appreciate some insight on any of these amps from those with experience, or if anyone has suggestions on other offerings, those would be grateful as well.
    Thanks!

bhendrix likes this.
  2. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Like many TB'ers I've been through a fair amount of amps over the last 7 years or so...lot's of Ampegs, a few Mesas, GKs, Peaveys, Traynors, Ashdown and probably a few I forget

I picked up a M6 Carbine on the cheap last year and I am really glad I did. Thick, rich, punchy with clarity is the way I would describe it. It really has something special going on to my ears. It prefers to run at 4 ohms and kind of runs out of headroom in loud situations at 8 ohms though if that's a consideration.

I also really like the GK Fusion 550 which has become my number 1. Very similar to the M6 but with a bit more warmth. Both of these amps have stopped by amp tone quest and I couldn't be happier.

If you don't mind heavy you can get these amps at pretty reasonable prices too

bhendrix likes this.
  3. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Of your choices, I'd go with the Fender Bassman Pro - old school!

4. Ronnie Thunders

Ronnie Thunders

Oct 21, 2019
    Bassmans way too expensive for your 1000 doll hair budget

5. Ronnie Thunders

Ronnie Thunders

Oct 21, 2019
    Mesa

6. Ronnie Thunders

Ronnie Thunders

Oct 21, 2019
    Used ampeg vb4 classic

7. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
    There are currently 2 Baseman 300 Pros on reverb for under 800

8. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
    Only 100w

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    You should be able to find a lightly used Traynor YBA-300 for $1,000. They sound fantastic.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022