New Amp-disappointed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nysurf2772, Jul 17, 2005.

1. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    I "upgraded" my rig this weekend---

I've been running from a Sansamp Driver to a GK 400rb-iii into an Ashdown MAG 15" cab

good cheap rig

I had GAS so I picked up a cheap old Eden WT-300.....nice little amp, I A/B'd them....but I realized 90% of my tone seems to be the sansamp

I think I'm gonna look at the Tech 21 Landmark 300....but I can also get a good deal on a Walkabout....

damn....I'm obsessed
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, if you are looking for that fat compressed tube sound, just save your money and buy a tube head! That should alleviate your gas for that tone.
  3. Why not keep the sansamp with a power amp, or maybe an RBI unit with a power amp?

Id also think the 600 watt landmark would be worth the extra bit, for headroom and such
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

So, just so I understand, it appears that you are looking to significantly color your tone beyond the capabilities of the bass itself. In my limited experience, I've found that Edens provide a nice, clean, transparent tone in general. In fact, I've found that GK colors the tone moreso than the Eden.

What kind of tone are you looking for? With this info, you'll likely get a number of good specific recommendations.
  5. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm playing a jazz bass with lots of growl........I like a warm tube tone like a fender bassman in a small package I can fit in a taxi.....

the Eden is really nice and warm....but I don't think I can ever get rid of the sansamp....
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Try a Thunderfunk sometime;)
  7. nysurf2772

Jun 20, 2005
    yes...the t-funk is appealing

I guess what I was saying is that it doesnt matter what amp I use....the sansamp is supplying the tone I like......

my favorite bass tone is from a stressed out late '70 Fender Studio......way way too heavy!!!
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well then, just getya a qsc/plx poweramp and call it done;)
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use an Eden 550 and a BDDI. Best of both worlds.