New amp for 2000 bucks USD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vacant, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    AG 500

GS 410

I like to say I have a varied style, muse, Metallica, Dream theater, Little chili peppers, Metallica

What do you guys htink of my descision?
  2. That is my current setup.

If I have it, then it obviously is good.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My latest rig. Close enough to yours...

4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I have the 410 cab and a couple of other Aggy heads. They all sound amazing. The one AG500 I tried was fantastic and totally blew me away (112 combo)

Looks like a good setup.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not bad. As you can see, it is the choice of a couple other guys. I would spend the $2000 differently, but there is nothing wrong with what you have come up with.

Have you already bought these items, or are you looking for approval from us before you do so?

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Good as that setup is, I would have to recommend you get something else. Maybe the same cab (or 212 or 412) with a different head. For the head, I think a pre/power setup would be awesome, or an Ashdown EVO head would fit the bill. Maybe even an Eden, but I don't think an Aggie is right for juat about any of the artists you listed... Or you could look all tube, I think a Fender Bassman Pro 300 would be great for just about all of those artists.
  7. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont have much experience with Aguilar personally, but it seems favored for jazz rather than rock.

For that price you could get a used monster tube head (SVT-ii non pro, SVT-CL, Mesa 400/400+, or hybrid M-Pulse 600) and just about any mix of killer rock/metal cabs- Mesa Powerhouse 1000, Ampeg Fridge, 2 4x10's, a 4x10 and 2x15... etc. This type of stuff cuts through for metal and sounds beautiful mixed in with the rest of the band.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Where's the Avatar posse? Them guys could have a field day with $2000!!! :D

9. Aguilar is great! It's what I use, but I play jazz and pop, not metal. You might take a good look at some of the more common rigs in those types of groups. I'd have a look at SWR, Ampeg, and GK. With $2000, you have nearly unlimited options for your style of music, so go out and try everything you can.
  10. Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    haha approval

HMM I was looking at the ampeg HLF can tahts ported and myabe a diff head...
  11. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    I totally disagree. I swithced from Pre/power amp setup to Aggie AG500 w/2 GS112, and they do fit the bill whatever I play: good ol' punk rock, disco, metal or that Billy Gould stuff.
  12. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If he bought a 359 I would say bad choice for that style. The AG500, especially the dual channel, is an extremely versatile amp that will cut through beautifully and give tonal options galore.
  13. Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    What about ampeg you guys. Ihave the full life of ampegs at my local guitar center
    I also play alot of harcore stuff and metal.
  14. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    are schroeder cabs any good for this type of music?
  15. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Doesn't Nino play the 359 and GS410 for that type of music?
    But yeah, IMHO, the AG500 is very versatile and would work fine. There are so many great options out there though that you'll probably get 2000 different opinions. Play whatever you can get your hands on and enjoy whatever you do decide to get.

Can I show off mine too? :D
  16. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I find my rig is incredibly versatile...

For those wondering I've only set things up like that once. I couldn't quite bring myself to put the 750 and my pre power rig in there as well.
  17. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

Well... it helps to have a LIIIIITTLE more focus.

But if it was me, I dunno how you can turn down a Schroeder cab. That leaves you almost $1,000 for amplification, if you get a large cab.

Do you have any preference in portability, and any equipment you really like as far as tone?
  18. Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    I like the svt 4 pro and the PR-410HLF from ampeg alot

svt 4 pro
  19. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I think your choice looks great. I haven't tried the Aguilar AG500, but want to in a bad way.

I do have the Aguilar DB750, and I'm totally floored at the tone and power of this head.

If you want other options, I would look at the following:

(Used) Aguilar DB750 $1,300.00 - $1,500.00
    (New) Thunderfunk TF550 $1,049.00
    (Used) Aguilar 410, 212
    (Used) Schroeder 1210
    (Used) Schroeder 1010 (My Cabinet)
    (Used) Bergantino NV610 (My Cabinet)

Good luck.
  20. Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    I think I might go ampeg
    with teh svt 4 pro and the PR-410HLF