New Amp for Nickthebassist.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toasted, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hi guys - I'm starting this thread for our favourite newby on talkbass, Nickthebassist.

Nick's got GAS and he's got it bad, but he has Bass GAS! Which, we know is just wrong... Amps are where its at - RIGHT?!

Nick currently plays through a lonely Fender Frontman 60b, which isnt loud enough for him, and it doesnt have enough toneshaping within the preamp. He has a Warwick Thumb 4, and a couple of cheaper 4's and a single cheap 5. Spectors and Fenders.

Nick's all-time bass hero is Bassist Kroeger of Nickelback fame.

Remember when you're suggesting things that me and Nick live in the good ole U dot of K and dont have too much access to any of yo' fancy shizzle.

Nick's gonna be spending around £500 or $900USD, and he's going to be buying new, as our "used" market here is totally crapola. PLEASE DONT TELL HIM TO BUY USED < it just aint gonna happen.

So, were going for something

- £500 or $900
    - more than 150 watts
    - active and passive imputs
    - good with 4's and 5's
    - a half decent preamp.

In my humble opinion, Nick should be spending his birthday money on this:

So come on guys, help a kid out, pick Nickthebassist the new amp he so desparately needs.
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown MAG. Any model in this series.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    GK! If he wants to go econo, Beringer.
  4. I want something that'll give me bucket loads of growl....I would haves Mesa/Boogi cabs and heads, but I ain't got millions, so that aint happening for ageeeeeeeeeees.
  5. That Ashdown looks great, and it's within my price range....all I need now is someone to buy my Spector rebop, and im sorted.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yee-hah! See, he does have a brain!

But since Boogie is so expensive in the UK, I'd suggest Ashdown. Those are my fav amps next to Boogie.

What's the market on old school (pre-Gibson) Trace Elliot over there? Those were the shizzle.
  7. I've had a word with my dad, and he says the ashdown is a 'possibility', but only if i can get some more money....i'm getting £100 from my mum, about £150 off my dad, and then i need another £100 or so. Someone, pelase buy my Rockbass or Yamaha!
  8. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Nemesis 4x10 - $700, Sansamp Bass Driver DI - $180. I used this setup for a couple of years and it worked great. Looking at the Eden site, it sounds like they upped the power to 320W (mine was 200W). Mine was powerful enough to run with a loud classic rock band, so I imagine the newer model would cover about any situation Nick would encounter any time soon.

The SABDDI warms things up. Nick wants growl? This is the "magic box" to get it - one of the most valuable pieces of gear to me. Add a little presence, a little drive and hold on to your shorts...
  9. Hmmmm, where do I get an Eden in england?
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

Both only have shops on denmark street in london. Also - why do you want Eden, when we already have Ashdown made here in the UK, stop listening to the hype nick.
  11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Great thread Toasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suggest a GK head. Simple controls and IMHO one of the best values out there. Awesome clarity. :bassist:
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    If you're looking for growl, I think GK is the way to go. They're a great value and plenty of punch. I have never tried Ashdown, but I hear they're similar to Ampeg in tone character.
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i say get the best ashdown you can for the money. Maybe sell a bass or two (or trade them in).
  14. Well, I think the Ashdown is winning right now, generally because I know how to work one, and can try before I buy. I have tried a 4x10 Ashdown, but never anything by any of the makes anyone is suggesting, so I'd have to find a place within 100 miles that sells these type of amps, so i can go with my bass to try them.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The seeds of betrayal reveal themselves.
  16. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    For God sake's, listen to these experienced people and go through with it---get a new amp. Your 60 watter isn't enough power to sound good (to a bass player) in a bedroom.

I have my gear setup at home, in a room that is about 20x 15. I have 3 amps, a 210 watt Ampeg, a 100 watt Fender and a 60 SWR. In this small room, with just me playing bass, and no crowd, you know what amp gets zero amount of use? No, it isn't the 210 or the 100. It is the 60 watt SWR that gets zero use, except by my sons for their microphone. It is one year old, and has about two hours on it. Sure, it is a nice little amp for what it is, but to truly hear and appreciate your instrument, no matter how cheap or expensive, you need a good amp. The other two get tons of use, and do any bass huge justice. I like the Fender for my fretless for its deep thump, and the Ampeg for everything else, as it has such perfect tone. The SWR does NONE of my basses justice, and never has.

A 60 watt amp has a hollowness to its sound, because there is not enough power. You need power, Nick. Go with a new amp, and you just might be satisfied with every bass in your arsenal. You'll also be amazed at how your creativity will improve---you will surely grow as a player with an amp which matches the quality of your guitars.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I can relate with Nick's situation - I soldiered on for a year with a 40W Peavey until I woke up and bought my Bag Ends. One of the better things I've done.

I vote for an Ashdown - support your local economy!

With Nick's interests, is there anything in the Warwick range that's worth looking at? I know nothing about them.
  18. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Ah now I remember why I hate gibson! :scowl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.