1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New amp for SWR Workingman's full stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Waffles and Scotch, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Hello,

My knowledge of bass amps is very limited and I need some help. I'm currently using a Hartke HA4000 400 watt amp to push an SWR Workingman's 4x10 (400w), 1x15 (200w) full stack (pics attached). I play in an original rock band and basically throw everything into our songs - slapping, tapping, chords, harmonics, etc., so tone is very important to me. I was thinking maybe a solid state amp with a tube preamp, but I figured I should ask some experts for their opinions before starting my search. My budget is about $1000.00. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: BTW - not trying to be an a$$ by throwing in the slapping, tapping, etc. stuff, just thought that'd be pertinent info to include...

Attached Files:

2. Nada? Any ideas on which manufacturers I should be looking at or which ones to avoid?

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Congrats, have fun

5. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
  6. well, do you need more power as well as a new improved tone or are you getting enuff from the hartke? cause if the hartke is giving you enuff oomph then you could consider just buying a better preamp and bypassing that of the hartke and just use it's poweramp...

7. Yep. The upgrade is for both power and tone. I'm sold on the M6 now - I really like the voice dial, tone and the simplicity. I'll probably repair my Hartke, use it to practice at home and possibly push an extra 1x15 cab on the opposite side of the stage depending on the size of the show.